请输入您要查询的英文词组:

词组 child
释义
child /tʃaɪld/ noun someone who is not yet an adultadjectivesa young child Young children are naturally curious about the world.a small/little child (=a young one) My family lived in France when I was a small child.a four-year-old/ten-year-old etc child A four-year-old child should not be left on his or her own.a school-age child She had two school-age children and worked part-time.a newborn child He was holding the newborn child in his arms.an unborn child (=a baby that is still inside its mother) Smoking can damage your unborn child.a good/bad child Be a good child and sit down!a naughty child (=doing things that are not allowed) Some parents don’t know how to deal with naughty children.a spoilt/spoiled child (=allowed to do or have whatever he or she wants, and behaving badly) He’s behaving like a spoilt child.a bright child (=intelligent) He was a bright child – always asking questions.a gifted child (=extremely intelligent) She goes to a special school for gifted children.a difficult child (=difficult to deal with) Marcus was a difficult child and his parents didn’t know what to do with him.an adopted child (=legally made part of a family that he or she was not born into) I didn’t find out that I was an adopted child until years later.nouns + childa problem child (=one who causes problems for the people looking after him or her) Problem children may need to be removed from the classroom.street children (=who live on the streets because they have no homes) The organization aims to help street children in Latin America.Schoolchildren is more commonly written as one word.verbsbring up a child especially BrE raise a child especially AmE The cost of bringing up a child has risen rapidly.a child is born Most children are born in hospital.a child grows up One in four children is growing up in poverty.child + nounschild abuse (=cruelty to children, especially involving sex with them) He was arrested on suspicion of child abuse.child development She’s an expert in child development.child labour BrE child labor AmE (=the use of children as workers) The garments were made using child labour.child poverty The city has one of the highest rates of child poverty in the developed world.a child victim We want to help the child victims of the conflict.a child soldier Child soldiers were involved in the civil war.prepositionschildren under/over five/eight etc In the UK, it is illegal to sell tobacco to children under 16.a child of five/eight etc For a child of five, this was a terrifying experience.as a child (=when you were a child) I lived there for several years as a child.THESAURUS: child kid informal a child. Kid is the usual word to use in everyday spoken English: We left the kids in the car. | I lived there when I was a kid. | He's only a little kid. | The older kids were afraid of him. little boy/little girl a young male or female child: Little boys love dinosaurs. | I lived there when I was a little girl. teenager someone between the ages of 13 and 19: There’s not much for teenagers to do around here. adolescent a young person who is developing into an adult – used especially when talking about the problems these people have: He changed from a cheerful child to a confused adolescent. youth a teenage boy. Youth is often used when you disapprove of a young person, for example because they are violent or commit crimes. It is also sometimes used in literary descriptions: He was attacked by a gang of youths. | A 17-year-old youth blocked the girl's path and said: "Give us your phone." | Her son was sent to a youth court. | A slim youth with curly hair answered the door.Youth is also used as an uncountable noun, when talking about young people in general: The youth of today have a much easier time than we did when we were young. youngster a child or young person – used especially by old people: You youngsters have got your whole life ahead of you. | He’s a bright youngster with a good sense of humour. minor law someone who is not yet legally an adult: It is illegal to sell alcohol to a minor.
随便看

英语词组固定搭配大全包含4241条英汉双解词组,基本涵盖了全部常用英文词组、短语的翻译及用法,是英语学习的有利工具。

Copyright © 2004-2022 Newdu.com All Rights Reserved
更新时间:2024/9/21 8:50:33