请输入您要查询的英文词组:

词组 happen
释义
happen /ˈhæpən/ verb used when saying that there is an event, especially one that is not plannednounsan accident/incident/event happens The accident happened at 6.15 a.m.an attack/explosion/murder etc happens Neighbours are shocked that such an attack could happen in their village.a change happens They don’t believe that climate change is really happening.a disaster/earthquake happens The question is, could an earthquake like this happen in California?a miracle happens I was hoping that a miracle would happen.a ... thing happens A funny thing happened last week when I was on the subway.something/nothing happens If something happens, call me immediately.verbsmake sth happen It’s up to you – only you can make it happen.let sth happen The authorities are determined not to let the same thing happen again.predict/know that sth will happen It’s impossible to predict what will happen next.adverbshappen quickly/slowly/gradually It all happened so quickly that there was nothing I could do.happen overnight (=immediately) Change doesn’t happen overnight.prepositionshappen to sb The same thing happened to my sister.phrasessth is bound to happen (=certain to happen) An accident was bound to happen sooner or later.what happens next Nobody knows what is going to happen next.these things happen/it could happen to anyone (=used when someone should not feel worried or blame themselves for what has happened) Don’t worry. These things happen in business. | It was an accident. It could happen to anyone.it just happened (=used when saying that something was not deliberate) We didn’t mean to fall in love – it just happened.sth happens all the time/every day (=it happens often) This kind of thing happens all the time where I live.whatever happens We’ll still be friends, whatever happens.the worst that can happen The worst that can happen is that you will get a fine.stranger things have happened (=it is possible that something could happen, even though it seems unlikely) Maybe Arsenal will win – stranger things have happened.something/nothing untoward has happened formal (=something bad or nothing bad has happened) They both tried to behave as if nothing untoward had happened.carry on as if nothing has happened (=continue what you are doing, while pretending that nothing has happened) The two men carried on with their conversation as if nothing had happened.sth is an accident/disaster waiting to happen (=used when you knew that something bad would happen) Wyman's marriage to Mandy Smith was a disaster waiting to happen.THESAURUS: happen take placemeeting | conference | ceremony | marriage | competition | game | race | demonstration | change | accident | incident | attack | murder to happen. Take place is often used about things that have been planned: The meeting took place in Paris on January 12th. | The conference will take place on the campus of the University of Melbourne. | The ceremony will take place in Westminster Abbey. | The marriage took place on a beautiful summer’s day. | This is the third time the competition has taken place in England. | The protesters were unable to stop the game from taking place. | A peaceful demonstration took place in the city’s main square. | Important changes were taking place across the Arab World. | They want to avoid the kind of accident that took place at Three Mile Island in the US. | Hundreds of similar incidents take place in Washington every day. | She was there when the attack took place. | They had a rough idea of when the murder took place from the state of the body. occur formalproblem | accident | incident | attack | explosion | situation | case | disease | condition to happen. Occur is used about events that have not been planned, especially bad events. Occur is more formal than happen: Problems might occur if there is a big rise in sea levels. | The accident occurred on the northbound No. 3 Freeway. | He was on his second visit to Afghanistan when the incident occurred. | The attack occurred in the early hours of October 26th. | A similar situation occurred in Thailand in 2004. | 95 percent of the cases occurred in children under nine years old. | The disease occurs in tropical climates. | The condition occurs most commonly in old people. come upquestion | opportunity | chance | problem to happen – used especially about problems, questions, and opportunities: This question often comes up when I’m talking to students. | After a year, an opportunity came up to move to Vienna. | I would go back there again, if the chance came up. | Whatever problems came up, she could handle them herself. | There aren’t any jobs at the moment, but we’ll let you know if something comes up (=if there are any opportunities for jobs). arise formalproblem | difficulty | question | opportunity | chance | circumstance | need | dispute | conflict | doubt | concern to happen – used especially about problems, questions, and opportunities. Arise is more formal than come up. It is often used when talking about dealing with possible problems: There may be financial problems arising from the patient’s illness. | It is best to deal with the problem as soon as it arises. | Difficulties arise in almost every police investigation. | The question arose as to who the money belonged to. | Charles decided to talk to her about it, when the opportunity arose. | If the circumstances arose, we could change our roles and my husband could look after the children. | The lifeguard will be there to rescue you, should the need arise (=if necessary). | A dispute arose between the steel companies and their employees. | If conflicts arise, the couple can benefit from discussing their feelings and differences with a trained counselor. | Doubts arose as to whether the document was genuine. | Serious concerns arise when people claim that nuclear energy is safe. crop upproblem | issue | emergency | question to happen suddenly or often – used especially about less serious problems that can easily be dealt with: Traditionally, if a problem crops up, a manager goes in and tells people what to do. | The same issues always keep cropping up on every project. | He is expected to handle any emergencies which crop up in the classroom. | One question that keeps cropping up is: “Why did she never get married?” | Here is my phone number, just in case something crops up. strikedisaster | tragedy | earthquake | tsunami | hurricane | storm | drought to happen suddenly – used about very bad events: They were coming down the mountain when disaster struck. | Tragedy struck when he had a bad fall just days before the competition. | I was on the 38th floor of an office building when the earthquake struck. | When the tsunami struck, it left 220,000 people dead. | After the hurricane struck, many people were left homeless. | They died when a storm struck on Mount Everest. | They remember the drought that struck East Africa last year. turn outwell | fine | okay | badly | as planned used when saying whether something happens successfully, in the way that you wanted: Luckily, everything turned out well in the end. | I promise you, it will all turn out fine. | Some things turn out well, others turn out badly. | Things don’t always turn out as planned. | How did it all turn out? materialize also materialise BrE to happen – used when saying that something did not happen, even though people expected it to: The rains failed to materialize last year. | The violence the newspapers had predicted did not materialize.Instead of saying that something happened, you often use there is/was: The leaflet tells you what to do if there is an accident (=if an accident happens).You say that there is something going on, when you know that something is happening, but you are not sure what it is: There’s something going on outside our house.
随便看

英语词组固定搭配大全包含4241条英汉双解词组,基本涵盖了全部常用英文词组、短语的翻译及用法,是英语学习的有利工具。

Copyright © 2004-2022 Newdu.com All Rights Reserved
更新时间:2024/9/21 12:46:56