请输入您要查询的英文词组:

词组 unfriendly
释义
unfriendly /ʌnˈfrendli/ adjective not kind or friendly – used about people and placesadverbsdistinctly unfriendly (=in a way that is very noticeable) The man’s attitude was distinctly unfriendly.rather unfriendly Big cities can be rather unfriendly places.extremely unfriendly The atmosphere was extremely unfriendly.nounsan unfriendly voice/tone “I’m not interested,” she said in an unfriendly voice.an unfriendly way/manner Her father often growled at her in an unfriendly way.prepositionsunfriendly to/towards sb The local people were rather unfriendly to us at first.THESAURUS: unfriendly hostileattitude | reception | reaction | response | manner | relations | crowd very unfriendly, and ready to argue or fight: There is a hostile attitude towards the police among local people. | The minister received a hostile reception from the audience (=they showed that they did not like what he was saying, often by shouting). | A hostile crowd gathered outside the US embassy. | He was openly hostile towards me when I arrived. coldvoice | stare behaving towards other people as if you do not like them or care about them: “Yes?” she said in rather a cold voice. | Instead of answering, he gave her a cold stare. frostyrelations | reception | look | stare | tone | manner | reaction | reply unfriendly, especially because you are angry with someone: The sometimes frosty relations between the two countries have got even worse in recent weeks. | He got a frosty reception from his wife when he finally returned home (=she was not very friendly towards him when he arrived). | Sebastian gave her a frosty look and went back to his work. | When she spoke, her tone was frosty. aloof formal not wanting to talk to other people or spend time with them, especially because you think you are better than them: Some politicians are criticized for being too aloof. | In the book she is portrayed as cold and aloof. | Many people, including my children, think I am aloof. | The governors were expected to maintain a rather dignified and aloof attitude. antisocial not interested in meeting other people or forming friendly relationships with them: Sorry if I’m being antisocial, but I need to get my work done. | He was an antisocial loner with no friends. unwelcoming not making you want to be in a place or be with someone: Through the rain, the house looked miserable and unwelcoming. | The entrance to the factory is cold, bare, and unwelcoming. | The city is full of unwelcoming pubs and restaurants. | The tone of his voice was distinctly unwelcoming. | The unwelcoming look in his deep blue eyes changed her mind. impersonal lacking the normal friendly relations between people: Classes at the college are large and impersonal. | His letters were cold, impersonal, and businesslike. | The hospital environment can seem very impersonal. | Small shops are much nicer than the impersonal world of the big supermarket. | I had no desire to work for a large impersonal organization. | Over the next few days, his manner was coolly polite and impersonal. | They just handed over the keys and walked out – it was all so impersonal. forbiddingplace | building | mountain | walls | landscape | atmosphere | look unfriendly, uncomfortable, and a little frightening - used especially about places: The town was a mysterious, forbidding place and I felt very alone there. | The school was a rather forbidding building surrounded by a high steel fence. | It was an island of forbidding mountains and freezing cold weather. | He looked up at the forbidding walls of the prison. | She saw the dark forbidding look in his eyes. | The lady who owned the house, Madge Grimsilk, looked cold and forbidding.
随便看

英语词组固定搭配大全包含4241条英汉双解词组,基本涵盖了全部常用英文词组、短语的翻译及用法,是英语学习的有利工具。

Copyright © 2004-2022 Newdu.com All Rights Reserved
更新时间:2024/9/21 14:25:03