请输入您要查询的英文词组:

词组 try
释义
verb | noun
try1 /traɪ/ verb 1. to use effort so that you can do something, which you may not be able to do adverbstry hard She was trying hard not to show her feelings.try unsuccessfully/without success The climbers tried unsuccessfully to reach the top of the mountain last year.try in vain/vainly try to do sth (=unsuccessfully) He tried in vain to quit smoking.try desperately/frantically (=extremely hard) The ambulance crew tried desperately to save his life. | I’ve been rushing around, frantically trying to get everything done.try your best/hardest (=do as well or as much as you can) I tried my best to look after her.try again/one more time Let’s have a rest and then we’ll try again.try repeatedly/continually She repeatedly tried to speak to her manager about the problem.verbsgive up trying Her novel was rejected by several publishers, but she never gave up trying.phrasestry as you might (=try as hard as possible to do something, but still not be successful) Try as he might, he could not get the incident out of his mind.it was not for (the) lack of trying (=used to say that someone failed even though they tried very hard) I didn’t persuade her, but it wasn’t for the lack of trying.Try or attempt?These words mean the same. Attempt is more formal than try and is often used about things that are difficult: They are attempting to travel to the South Pole. Attempted is also often used when talking about crimes: The men were charged with attempted murder.THESAURUS: try attempt to try to do something, especially something difficult. Attempt is more formal than try and is used especially in written English: He was attempting to climb one of the world’s highest mountains. | The government is attempting to deal with the problem.Attempt is also often used about crimes or things you should not do: Any prisoner who attempts to escape will be shot. The man was charged with attempted murder. do your best to try as hard as you can to do something: We will do our best to help them. make an effort to do sth to try to do something, when you find this difficult: It is worth making an effort to master the local language. | She made a big effort to be nice to him. struggle to try very hard to do something that is very difficult, especially for a long time: She’s still struggling to give up smoking. | Many of these families are struggling to survive. strive formal to try very hard to achieve something: South Korea will strive to maintain friendly relations with North Korea. | The company must constantly strive for greater efficiency. endeavour BrE formal endeavor AmE formal to try hard to do something: We endeavour to provide customers with the best service possible. have a go/try informal to try to do something, especially when you are not sure that you will succeed: I’m not very good at fixing taps, but I’ll have a go. | Do you want to have another try? see if you can do sth spoken to try to do something – used when offering to do something, or suggesting that someone should do something: I’ll see if I can get you a ticket. | See if you can persuade her to come.2. to do something in order to find out if you like it, or if it will workadverbshave you ever tried sth? Have you ever tried wind-surfing?have never tried sth I’ve never tried Vietnamese food before.phrasestry everything We tried everything, but we couldn’t get the engine to start.
verb | noun
try2 /traɪ/ noun an attempt to do somethingadjectivesa good try (=a good or determined attempt) I don’t know if I can win, but I’m going to have a good try.a nice try (=a good try that is not successful) Nice try, Claudia, but not good enough, I’m afraid.sb’s first/second try Only half the students passed the test on their first try.verbshave a try I decided to have one last try.give sth a try spoken I knew I didn’t have much chance of getting the job, but I thought I’d give it a try.be worth a try (=be worth trying because you may succeed) If you’re looking for a room for the night the Swan Hotel is worth a try.
随便看

英语词组固定搭配大全包含4241条英汉双解词组,基本涵盖了全部常用英文词组、短语的翻译及用法,是英语学习的有利工具。

Copyright © 2004-2022 Newdu.com All Rights Reserved
更新时间:2024/9/21 13:53:06