请输入您要查询的英文词组:

词组 road
释义
road /rəʊd $ roʊd/ noun a hard surface for vehiclesadjectives/nouns + roada busy road (=with a lot of traffic) We have to cross a busy road to get to school.a quiet road (=with little traffic) At that time of night, the roads were quiet.a clear road (=with no traffic or nothing blocking it) Before you overtake, make sure the road is clear.a main road (=an important road that is used a lot) The hotel is on the main road to the airport.a minor road (=a less important road that is not used a lot) France has a huge network of minor roads.a side/back road (=a small road that is not used much) He drove into a quiet side road and stopped the car.a country/mountain/coast road These country roads are very narrow. | A lot of concentration is needed on the narrow mountain roads. | He continued along the coast road.a dirt road (=made of hard earth) We were bumping along a dirt road when the storm started.a winding road (=with a lot of smooth bends) The route is all winding roads and steep hills.the open road (=without much traffic or anything to stop you getting somewhere) This car is at its best on the open road.a road is closed/open (=it is closed or blocked/not closed or blocked) We try to keep the mountain road open for most of the year. | The mountain road was closed by snow.Road is used in the names of roads and streets: She lives on Victoria Road. In addresses, you can use the abbreviation Rd.: 58 Chesterwood Rd.verbs + roadcross a road Look both ways before crossing the road.go down a road I heard the sound of her car going down the road.follow a road (=continue along it) I followed the main road into the town centre.turn onto a road also turn into a road BrE We turned onto a quiet road.pull off a road (=leave it when you are driving) If you feel tired, pull off the road and have a rest.run (out) into a road A child ran out into the road and was almost hit by a car.live on a road Chris lives on Mount Vernon Road.road + verbsa road leads/goes/runs somewhere We turned into the road leading to the village.a road winds (=it turns and curves, rather than going in a straight line) A long road wound through the park.a road forks (=starts going ahead in two different directions) At Salen, the road forks right and left.a road narrows/widens (=it becomes narrower or wider) After a couple of miles, the road narrows.a road is blocked The main road was blocked for an hour while police cleared the accident.road + nounsa road accident Her husband was killed in a road accident.road safety It’s important to teach children about road safety.road sense (=knowledge of how to behave safely near traffic) Young children don’t have any road sense.a road junction (=a place where two or more roads meet) The accident happened at a busy road junction.a road network (=a system of roads that cross or are connected to each other) The road network in Amsterdam is quite complicated.a road sign What does that road sign mean?a road map I’m lost. Did we bring a road map?prepositionson the road There were a lot of cars parked on the road.along a road She was seen walking along the road on her own.up/down the road (=along a road – used especially in spoken English) I ran down the road to see what had happened. | There’s a post office up the road.in the road Someone was standing in the road, blocking the traffic.across the road She lives across the road.by road The volcano cannot be reached by road.Up/down the roadPeople often use up/down the road, when saying that someone or something is near you: He lives up the road from me.phrasesthe side of the road We stopped and had something to eat by the side of the road. | She was standing on the other side of the road talking to my mum.the middle of the road A police officer was standing in the middle of the road, directing traffic.the road ahead (=in front of you) The road ahead was completely flooded.a fork in the road (=a place where a road goes in two different directions) We had to ask for directions each time we got to a fork in the road.a stretch of road (=a length of road) Several people have been killed on this stretch of road.THESAURUS: road street a road in a town or city, with houses or shops on each side: She lives on our street. | We walked along the streets of the old town. | Oxford Street is one of Europe’s busiest shopping areas. | He was stopped by the police, driving the wrong way down a one-way street. | Turn left on Main Street (=the street in the middle of a town, where most of the shops are – used in American English). | These days the same shops are on every high street (=the street in the middle of a town, where most of the shops are – used in British English). avenue a road in a town or city, often with trees on each side: the busy avenue in front of the cathedral | He lived on Park Avenue. boulevard a wide road in a city – used especially in street names in the US, France etc. In the UK, streets are usually called avenue rather than boulevard: We visited the world-famous Sunset Boulevard in Los Angeles. lane a narrow road in the country: I was cycling along a winding country lane, with very little traffic. cul-de-sac a short street which is closed at one end: The house is situated in a quiet cul-de-sac in North Oxford. track especially BrE dirt road AmE a narrow road in the country, usually without a hard surface: The farm was down a bumpy track. ring road BrE beltway AmE a road that goes around a town or city: The airport is on the ring road just outside the city. bypass BrE a road that goes past a town or city, allowing traffic to avoid the centre: The bypass would take heavy traffic out of the old city centre. dual carriageway BrE divided highway AmE a road with a barrier or strip of land in the middle that has lines of traffic travelling in each direction: I waited until we were on the dual carriageway before I overtook him. freeway/expressway AmE a very wide road in a city or between cities, on which cars can travel very fast without stopping: Take the Hollywood Freeway (101) south, exit at Vine Street, and drive east on Franklin Avenue. | Over on the side of the expressway, he saw an enormous sedan, up against a stone wall. motorway BrE highway AmE a very wide road for travelling fast over long distances: The speed limit on the motorway is 70 miles an hour. | the Pacific Coast Highway interstate AmE a road for fast traffic that goes between states: The accident happened on Interstate 84, about 10 miles east of Hartford. toll road a road that you pay to use: The government is planning to introduce toll roads, in an effort to cut traffic congestion. turnpike AmE a large road for fast traffic that you pay to use: He dropped her off at an entrance to the New Jersey Turnpike.
随便看

英语词组固定搭配大全包含4241条英汉双解词组,基本涵盖了全部常用英文词组、短语的翻译及用法,是英语学习的有利工具。

Copyright © 2004-2022 Newdu.com All Rights Reserved
更新时间:2024/9/21 13:56:05