请输入您要查询的英文词组:

词组 meaning
释义
meaning /ˈmiːnɪŋ/ noun 1. the thing or idea that a word, expression, or sign representsadjectivesthe original meaning The original meaning of the word holiday was ‘holy day’.the literal meaning Idioms are groups of words that are used in a different way from their literal meaning.a precise/specific/exact meaning The term ‘stress’ has a precise meaning to an engineer.a hidden meaning She felt there was a hidden meaning behind his words.a double meaning (=two meanings at the same time) Everything he said had a double meaning.the figurative/metaphorical meaning (=different from its usual or basic meaning) ‘Heated’ is most commonly used in a metaphorical meaning, when talking about angry arguments.the technical/scientific meaning The word ‘tolerance’ also has a technical meaning.the ordinary meaning Technical uses are often different from the ordinary meaning of the word.sb’s/sth’s true meaning Children need to understand the true meaning of Christmas.a symbolic meaning (=representing an idea) Colours often have symbolic meanings; for example, black signifies grief in Western cultures.verbshave a meaning The same word may have several different meanings.take on a meaning (=begin to have a new meaning) The word ‘chaos’ has taken on a special scientific meaning.understand the meaning The pictures help the children understand the meanings of the words.know the meaning Do you know the meaning of the word ‘paraphrase’?grasp the meaning (=begin to understand the meaning) She suddenly grasped the meaning of what they were saying.get sb’s meaning informal (=understand what someone is saying in an indirect way) He’s not like other people, if you get my meaning.carry meaning formal (=have a meaning) In conversation, even a pause may carry meaning.convey meaning formal (=express a meaning) Hand signals can be used to convey meaning.prepositionsthe meaning of sth You can look up the meaning of a word in a dictionary.THESAURUS: meaning the gist the main idea and meaning of something such as an article or a speech: Read the story quickly first, just to get the gist of it. | I think I understand the gist of what you’re saying. the drift/your drift the main set of ideas involved in something such as an explanation, argument, or account of something – often used when the ideas are not stated directly: The drift of his letter is that he wants to come back. | I don’t quite follow your drift. the essence the most important meaning of something such as an argument or piece of writing: The essence of what he is saying is that human character is formed by society. the thrust the most important message of an argument, explanation etc, especially when it consists of a set of connected ideas leading to a final answer or idea: The overall thrust of her argument is that we need to do more to protect our environment. the substance formal the most important ideas contained in an argument or piece of writing: The substance of Marx’s views is the same in both of these books. | His article lacks substance (=there are no interesting or important ideas in it). the implication the meaning of what someone says, writes etc that is not stated directly, but that people are expected to understand: The implication was that they did not consider Harrison to be trustworthy.2. purpose and importance that something such as life or work hasadjectivesnew meaning The birth of his grandchild gave new meaning to his life.real/true meaning Without Jane, nothing had any real meaning for him.verbshave meaning He felt that his life had no meaning after his daughter died.give meaning to sth Her belief in God gave meaning to everything she did.lose meaning (=no longer have any importance) I was grieving, and time lost all meaning for me.acquire meaning Those discoveries acquired greater meaning following further research in 2009.prepositionswithout meaning I was felt that my life was without meaning.
随便看

英语词组固定搭配大全包含4241条英汉双解词组,基本涵盖了全部常用英文词组、短语的翻译及用法,是英语学习的有利工具。

Copyright © 2004-2022 Newdu.com All Rights Reserved
更新时间:2024/6/3 3:31:01