请输入您要查询的英文词组:

词组 finish
释义
verb | noun
finish1 /ˈfɪnɪʃ/ verb 1. to do all of somethingGrammarFinish is often followed by a participle in this meaning: Have you finished eating? Don’t say Have you finished to eat?nounsfinish your work/homework The work was finished four months ahead of schedule.finish your meal/food/drink You stay and finish your meal.finish a book/article/report She is finishing her first book, which will be published this autumn.finish your course/studies/education I had just finished my university course, and was wondering what to do next.finish school/university He didn’t have the money to finish high school.adverbsalmost/nearly/just about finished We’ve nearly finished making the cakes.verbslet sb finish (=allow someone to finish speaking) Just let me finish, and then you can make your point.wait for sb to finish We all had to wait for her to finish eating.phrasessb will be finished in no time informal (=they will have finished very soon) Don’t worry, we'll be finished in no time.THESAURUS: finish completework | task | job | project | course | studies | PhD | training | education | journey | investigation | sale | term of office to finish doing something, especially something that takes a lot of time and effort. Complete is more formal than finish: Marx died before he could complete the work. | The time taken to complete the task is measured. | Final payment is not made until the job is completed. | Students have to complete a research-based project in their final year. | She started a new job as a computer technician after completing her course. | After completing her studies at university, she worked as a nurse for six years. | She has just completed her PhD. | Many schoolchildren have to leave the region to complete their education. | They had to leave the car and complete the journey on foot. | They need more time to complete their investigation. | They expect to complete the sale in around six months. | The president has just completed his term of office (=the period when he or she has the position of president). conclude formalagreement | deal | negotiations | work | study | investigation | interview | argument to finish something, especially an agreement or an investigation: The US concluded a trade agreement with Mexico. | The two sides had hoped to conclude a deal by the end of the year. | We aim to conclude the negotiations this month. | The committee hopes to conclude its work on Friday. | They conclude their study with the suggestion that more work needs to be done. | Police concluded their investigation and a 39-year-old man was charged with the murder. | She concludes the interview by saying “I feel so lucky to be here.” | The defence lawyers concluded their arguments. finalize also finalise BrEagreement | deal | negotiations | sale | details | plans | arrangements to do the last things that are necessary in order to finish an agreement or plan: The agreement was finalized during ten hours of talks at the presidential mansion. | They were in the last stages of finalizing the deal. | They finalized the sale of the company yesterday. | We have an agreement in principle and we are finalizing the details. | The couple are finalizing their plans for the wedding. | The arrangements are still being finalized. wrap sth up informalagreement | deal | negotiations | investigation | game | match | victory | win to finish something successfully. Wrap up is rather informal and is often used in news reports: The company hopes to wrap up an agreement as soon as possible. | Negotiators are meeting on Friday to wrap up the deal. | The negotiations should have been wrapped up a lot earlier. | The police have a few more days in which to wrap up their investigation. | The game was wrapped up by half-time, with Rooney scoring twice. round off BrE round out AmEevening | day | year | season | meal | visit | meeting | interview | game to finish something by doing one final thing, especially something enjoyable: You can round out the evening with a trip to a local nightclub. | The day was rounded off with a picnic. | The win was the perfect way to round out the season. | We rounded off the meal with some Irish coffee. | Kylie rounded off her visit to the UK with a great live performance. | It’s best to round off the meeting with a quick summary of what has been agreed.When saying that you have finished doing something in everyday English, you often say that you have done it: Have you done your work/homework/essay? I've done the washing/ironing/cleaning. This is much more common than saying “I/you have finished”.In informal spoken English, people also say I’m done (=I have finished).ANTONYMS start1 (1)2. to endTHESAURUS: finish end2 (1)
verb | noun
finish2 /ˈfɪnɪʃ/ noun the end or last part of somethingadjectives/nouns + finishan early/late finish On Fridays we have an early finish, and can go home at three o’clock.an exciting/dramatic/nail-biting finish The race had an exciting finish.a strong finish A performance needs a strong finish that leaves the audience wanting more.a close/tight finish (=when two competitors finish very close to each other) Jack came second, but it was a close finish.a photo finish (=in which the winner is decided by looking at a photo because it is very close) His horse was announced to be the winner, after a photo finish.finish + nounsthe finish line Bolt was first across the finish line.prepositionsthe finish of sth We usually have a party to celebrate the finish of filming.at the finish There was a sprint for second place at the finish.to/until the finish She stayed to the finish.a finish to sth There was a much closer finish to the election campaign than expected.phrasesfrom start to finish The whole day was a disaster from start to finish.ANTONYMS start2
随便看

英语词组固定搭配大全包含4241条英汉双解词组,基本涵盖了全部常用英文词组、短语的翻译及用法,是英语学习的有利工具。

Copyright © 2004-2022 Newdu.com All Rights Reserved
更新时间:2024/9/21 12:27:40