请输入您要查询的英文词组:

词组 reaction
释义
reaction AC /riˈækʃən/ noun 1. something that you feel or do because of something that has happened or been saidadjectives/nouns + reactionsb’s first/initial/immediate reaction His first reaction was to laugh.a natural reaction Anger is a natural reaction when you feel you have been treated unfairly.an emotional reaction (=showing strong emotion, especially by crying) I was surprised by her emotional reaction to the news.a positive/favourable reaction (=showing that someone agrees or likes something) There has been a positive reaction to the campaign.a negative reaction (=showing that someone disagrees or dislikes something) I wasn’t expecting such a negative reaction to my suggestion.mixed reactions (=some positive and some negative reactions) The book met with mixed reactions.a violent/angry/hostile reaction There was an angry reaction from the crowd and some people started throwing stones at the police. | The artists were surprised by the violent reactions to their work.a strong reaction There was a strong reaction from the union against the changes.the public reaction (=what the public think about something that happens) The public reaction to the film was mainly positive.a delayed reaction (=one that comes some time after an event) You’re suffering a delayed reaction to the accident.sb’s gut reaction informal (=what they feel or decide immediately, before thinking) My gut reaction is that it sounds like a good idea.sb’s instinctive reaction (=what they do immediately, before thinking) Often your instinctive reaction is to blame someone else.a knee-jerk reaction (=an immediate one that happens without sensible thinking) There’s often a knee-jerk reaction when changes are announced.verbsprovoke/produce/bring a reaction (=make someone have a reaction) The decision provoked an angry reaction from the local tourist industry.get a reaction We didn’t know what kind of reaction we would get.meet with/draw a reaction formal (=get a reaction) The article drew a furious reaction from ministers.gauge sb’s reaction (=judge or find out someone’s reaction) He watched Jane’s face, trying to gauge her reaction.prepositionssb’s reaction to sth His reaction to the news had been predictable.the reaction from/of sb I can understand the reaction of the fans, and why they were so upset.in reaction to sth An emergency fund was set up in reaction to the famine.phrasesjudging by sb’s reactions Judging by the audience’s reactions, the show will be a great success.THESAURUS: reaction response what you say or do when someone says or does something to you: The government’s immediate response was to reject the proposal. | The decision was made in response to requests from local residents. | We are still waiting to see if there is any response. reception a particular type of reaction to someone’s ideas, work etc – used especially in the following phrases: The plan received a warm reception from conference delegates (=they liked it). | The film received a mixed reception and commercially it was not successful (=many people did not like it). | The Association of Chief Police Officers gave the idea a cool reception (=they did not like it very much). | Alford’s views met with a hostile reception (=people were very disapproving). feedback advice, criticism, praise etc that you give to someone, telling them how well they are working: Our English teacher gave us some feedback on our essays. | The feedback we have had from our customers has all been positive (=they say they like something). | No one likes getting negative feedback (=someone says that they do not like something). backlash an angry or violent reaction by a group of people to the actions or decisions of others: There has been a growing backlash against the government from angry voters. | fears of a right-wing backlash2. if you have a reaction to a particular food, drug etc, it makes you illverbshave/suffer a reaction He suffered a reaction after eating peanuts.cause/bring on/trigger a reaction Wheat is one of the foods that are most likely to cause a reaction.develop a reaction (=start to have it) I had to stop wearing contact lenses after I developed an allergic reaction to them.adjectivesan allergic reaction If you develop an allergic reaction to your sunscreen, stop using it.a bad reaction She had a bad reaction to the medicine.an adverse reaction formal (=a bad reaction) The patient died after having an adverse reaction to the drug.a severe reaction A severe allergic reaction to the drug has killed five Americans.a slight/mild reaction A spider’s venom usually causes only a slight reaction.prepositionsa reaction to sth The rash may be a reaction to something you have eaten.3. a chemical change that happensadjectivesa chemical reaction The chemical reaction between ozone and chlorine lowers the temperature.verbscause/trigger a reaction Hydrochloric acid was put into the wrong tank, causing a toxic reaction.undergo a reaction When heated, egg whites undergo a reaction that makes them solidify.prepositionsa reaction between sth and sth The reaction between methane and chlorine occurs rapidly in sunlight.
随便看

英语词组固定搭配大全包含4241条英汉双解词组,基本涵盖了全部常用英文词组、短语的翻译及用法,是英语学习的有利工具。

Copyright © 2004-2022 Newdu.com All Rights Reserved
更新时间:2024/9/21 12:40:39