请输入您要查询的英文词组:

词组 embarrassing
释义
embarrassing /ɪmˈbærəsɪŋ/ adjective making you feel ashamed, nervous, or uncomfortablenounsan embarrassing situation I was in a very embarrassing situation and I didn’t know what to do.an embarrassing position John’s refusal to attend his brother’s wedding put the rest of his family in an embarrassing position.an embarrassing question The media began asking embarrassing questions about his private life.an embarrassing silence There was a long and embarrassing silence after she asked the question.an embarrassing experience Discussing your personal problems with a complete stranger can be an embarrassing experience.verbsfind sth embarrassing Men often find it embarrassing to talk about their problems.prove embarrassing (=be embarrassing for someone) Rumours about his affair with a glamour model proved highly embarrassing.adverbshighly/deeply/extremely embarrassing This incident is highly embarrassing for the college.acutely/excruciatingly embarrassing (=extremely embarrassing) She had never asked her family for money before, and she found the whole situation acutely embarrassing.rather/somewhat/quite embarrassing Meeting my old boyfriend at the party was rather embarrassing.a little embarrassing also a bit embarrassing spoken especially BrE It was a bit embarrassing when he started to cry.potentially embarrassing (=could be embarrassing in the future) The timing of his resignation is potentially embarrassing for the government.How embarrassing! “I suddenly realised I had forgotten her name.” “How embarrassing!”Adverbs with embarrassingHighly, deeply, and extremely embarrassing all mean the same. Highly embarrassing is the most common collocation to use.Acutely embarrassing sounds even stronger than highly/deeply/extremely embarrassing. Excruciatingly embarrassing is the strongest of all.prepositionsembarrassing to/for sb This news will be embarrassing to the government.THESAURUS: embarrassing awkwardsituation | position | moment | question | silence | pause rather embarrassing, so that you do not feel relaxed when you are talking to someone or dealing with someone. Awkward sounds less strong than embarrassing: The British government found itself in an awkward situation. | Because he is my brother, it puts me in rather an awkward position. | There was an awkward moment when she asked him why he was being so rude. | My parents are sure to ask some awkward questions about where I was last night. | After he finished talking, there was an awkward silence. | “Hi David!” There was an awkward pause and then he said, “Actually, my name is Daniel.” uncomfortableposition | experience | silence | reminder | truth | fact used about things that make people feel nervous and not relaxed. Uncomfortable is similar in meaning to awkward: She found herself in the uncomfortable position of criticizing people who used to be her friends. | Watching yourself on camera can be a very uncomfortable experience. | There was a long uncomfortable silence and people tried to avoid looking at each other. | The documents are an uncomfortable reminder of the past (=they make you remember something embarrassing). | The uncomfortable truth was that he did not love her any more. | It was easier to ignore the uncomfortable facts and pretend that everything was OK. humiliatingdefeat | experience | climbdown making you feel very ashamed and embarrassed, because you have been made to look stupid or weak in front of other people: The team suffered a humiliating defeat. | It was the most humiliating experience of my life. | The government has been forced into a humiliating climbdown about its economic policy (=an embarrassing situation, in which someone in authority has to admit they were wrong and change their plans). | It was humiliating for her to admit she had lied to the court.
随便看

英语词组固定搭配大全包含4241条英汉双解词组,基本涵盖了全部常用英文词组、短语的翻译及用法,是英语学习的有利工具。

Copyright © 2004-2022 Newdu.com All Rights Reserved
更新时间:2024/9/21 12:38:36