请输入您要查询的英文词组:

词组 unfair
释义
unfair /ˌʌnˈfeə◂ $ -ˈfer◂/ adjective not right or fairadverbsgrossly/extremely unfair The system was grossly unfair.most unfair spoken (=very unfair) I think it is most unfair of the court to punish a man for protecting his house from burglars.totally unfair It’s totally unfair to blame one player when the team doesn’t play well.rather unfair I feel that this criticism is rather unfair.a little/slightly unfair also a bit unfair BrE spoken You’re being a little unfair on him.blatantly/manifestly/patently unfair (=very obviously unfair) The newspaper called the decision blatantly unfair.nounsan unfair advantage The rich clubs can afford to buy the best players, which gives them an unfair advantage.unfair competition/trade (=when not everyone has the same opportunity in business) Our industry will suffer from unfair competition if other governments increase their farming subsidy.unfair dismissal (=when someone is illegally made to leave their job) She took the company to a tribunal for unfair dismissal.unfair practices (=when a company or organization acts unfairly) The legislation forbids a number of unfair practices used in the past by some employers.verbsthink sth is unfair I think it’s unfair that I have to do all the work.consider sth unfair/regard sth as unfair (=think that something is unfair – more formal) She regarded the judgement as unfair and tried to get it overturned.prepositionsunfair to/towards sb He shouldn’t get special treatment – it would be unfair to the other students.THESAURUS: unfair not fair unfair: It’s not fair that people are paying different prices for the same tickets. unjust not fair or right according to the principles of a particular society: Sihanouk called the US decision ‘unjust and unfair’. | She believed it was an illegal and unjust war. | They want these unjust laws changed. unequal unfair because people are treated in different ways or because some people have more power than others: We live in a deeply unequal society. | They discussed the unequal distribution of global resources. inequitable formal unfair because people are treated in different ways, or because some people have more power than others: The current system is inequitable, because it makes it possible for rich people to buy a place at university. | There is substantial evidence of inequitable treatment of women by the justice system. | The new law was intended to improve the grossly inequitable distribution of land (=extremely unfair). biased unfairly against or in favour of a particular group: Some of the reporting was incredibly biased. | His account of what happened was completely biased. | The policy was biased against women. | The trade laws are biased in favour of rich countries. | There were claims that prison bosses were racially biased.treating people unfairly because of their race, sex, age etc prejudiced treating someone unfairly and having an unreasonable dislike of them because of their race, sex etc, or because they are old, disabled etc: I don’t want to sound prejudiced, but I do think women are better at this type of job. | Some people are prejudiced against older workers. | The media had very prejudiced attitudes towards disabled people. racist treating someone unfairly because of their race: He denied making racist remarks about another player. | Children pick up racist attitudes from their parents. sexist treating someone unfairly because of their sex: He had made sexist comments to several women in the office. | The show was about two female inspectors who had trouble with their sexist bosses. ageist treating someone unfairly because of their age – used especially when old people are unfairly treated: Ageist attitudes result in older people being discriminated against in the workplace. homophobic treating someone unfairly because they are gay: Many of his songs are homophobic.
随便看

英语词组固定搭配大全包含4241条英汉双解词组,基本涵盖了全部常用英文词组、短语的翻译及用法,是英语学习的有利工具。

Copyright © 2004-2022 Newdu.com All Rights Reserved
更新时间:2024/9/21 10:53:25