请输入您要查询的英文词组:

词组 number
释义
number /ˈnʌmbə $ -bər/ noun 1. a word or sign representing an amountadjectives/nouns + numbera phone/house/flight etc number Can I have your phone number?a lucky/unlucky number (=that you think gives you good or bad luck) Three is my lucky number.an even number (=2, 4, 6, 8 etc) All even numbers can be divided by 2.an odd number (=1, 3, 5, 7 etc) You can’t work in pairs if you’ve got an odd number of people.a whole number (=a number that is not a fraction) Give your answer to the nearest whole number.a round number (=ending in zero) A hundred is a nice round number.a prime number (=a number such as 13 that can be divided only by itself and 1) After 7, what is the next prime number?a three-/eight-/thirteen- etc digit number What is the three-digit number on the back of your card?a positive number (=more than zero) Maths is easier if you are dealing with positive numbers.a negative/minus number (=less than zero) The answer is a negative number.a cardinal number (=a number such as 1, 2, or 3 that shows how many of something there are) Numbers go on to infinity, so there is no last cardinal number.an ordinal number (=a number such as 1st, 2nd, or 3rd that shows where something comes in a series or list) The children learn about position and ordinal numbers when they stand in a line.verbsadd numbers together/add up numbers Add the two numbers together and divide by three. | We wrote all the numbers down then added them up.subtract one number from another Subtract this number from the total.multiply one number by another What happens if you multiply a positive number by a negative number?divide one number by another Divide the top number of the fraction by the bottom number.double a number Next, double the first number you thought of.2. an amount of somethingadjectivesa large/huge/considerable etc number We’ve had a huge number of complaints. | He received a substantial number of votes. | A considerable number of students left after the first year. Don’t say a big number of people/things.a high number (=a lot) There seems to be no reason for the high number of accidents.a good number (=quite a lot) He has written a good number of books for children.a small/tiny number The class had only a small number of students. | Only a tiny number of these animals remain in the wild.a low number (=not many) What is the reason for the low numbers of women involved in management?a limited number (=quite small) A limited number of copies were printed.a growing/increasing number An increasing number of women are entering the profession.the exact/precise number No one knows the exact number of deaths.the approximate number What’s the approximate number of people on the course?the total/overall number The overall number of divorces has gone up.the real/true number The real number of drug users is much higher than the official figure.verbs + numberincrease the number of sth The government plans to increase the number of police officers.reduce the number of sth We need to reduce the number of cars on the road.control/limit the number of sth They want to limit the number of foreigners entering the country.calculate a number The program can calculate the number of words that will fit the space available.count/measure a number We counted the number of children in the school hall.number + verbsa number increases/goes up/grows/rises The number of mobile phones has increased dramatically.a number falls/drops/goes down/decreases/declines The number of new houses being built is falling steadily.a number doubles (=becomes twice as big) The number of road accidents has doubled in the last ten years.a number halves (=becomes twice as small) The number of children failing at school has halved in recent years.prepositionsthe number of sth The number of cars on our roads is increasing.phrasesa number of sth (=several) A number of different ideas were discussed.any number of sth (=a lot of something) There have been any number of magazine articles about the celebrity couple.in large/increasing/limited etc numbers Birds nest here in large numbers.sth are few/small/limited in number (=there are not many of something) Jobs were few in number.a drop/decline in numbers Whales have suffered a large decline in numbers.bring the number to 25/120 etc This will bring the number of jobs lost at the company to 85.3. a telephone numberadjectives/nouns + numberthe wrong number I think you’ve got the wrong number.a work/home number You can call me on my work number.a mobile number BrE a cell/cellphone number AmE She gave him her mobile number.a contact number (=that someone can call if they need to speak to you) They had no contact number for the child’s parents.a number is engaged BrE a number is busy AmE If the number is engaged, leave a message.verbsdial a number Make sure you dial the number carefully.call/phone a number also ring a number BrE Every time he called Sue’s number, she didn’t answer.give sb a number She wouldn’t give me her number.exchange numbers We exchanged numbers at the end of the evening.phrasessb’s name and number Take her name and number and tell her I’ll call her back.
随便看

英语词组固定搭配大全包含4241条英汉双解词组,基本涵盖了全部常用英文词组、短语的翻译及用法,是英语学习的有利工具。

Copyright © 2004-2022 Newdu.com All Rights Reserved
更新时间:2024/9/21 11:02:46