请输入您要查询的英文词组:

词组 search
释义
noun | verb
search1 /sɜːtʃ $ sɜːrtʃ/ noun 1. an attempt to find someone or somethingadjectives/nouns + searcha thorough/careful search We conducted a thorough search of the building.a painstaking search (=very careful) Experts are carrying out a painstaking search of the wreckage to see what caused the crash.a systematic search (=done in an organized way) They set about a systematic search of the ship.a desperate/frantic search After the war, many people returned to rural areas in a desperate search for food.a fruitless search (=unsuccessful) I spent many hours in a fruitless search for accommodation.a nationwide search (=in every part of a country) Kim was missing for two months, prompting a nationwide search.a police search Her disappearance sparked a massive police search.a house-to-house search (=of every house or building in an area) Police officers are conducting house-to-house searches in the area where the girl disappeared.a fingertip search BrE (=a careful search for clues by police officers) Police have started a fingertip search of the area and appealed for witnesses.verbscarry out/do a search also conduct a search formal Police have carried out a search of his home.launch/mount a search (=start one) A massive search was launched for the former soldier.call off/abandon a search (=stop it) They called off the search when it got dark.resume a search (=start it again) We will resume the search in the morning.spark/prompt a search (=make it happen) The discovery sparked a search by more than 50 police officers.widen a search (=look in a bigger area or amongst a bigger group) Police have widened their search because they believe the man may have moved out of the area.search + nounsa search party (=a group of people who search for someone who is missing or lost) A search party was out looking for him.a search warrant (=a document that allows police to search a building) They can’t enter the house without a search warrant.the search area The search area has now been widened.prepositionsthe search for sth The search for survivors continues.a search of sth Two more bodies were found after a search of the woods.phrasesthe search is on (=people are trying to find someone or something) The search is on for someone with the same blood type.a search is under way/underway (=it has started) A search is underway for two walkers in the Cairngorm mountains.2. an occasion when you look for something on the internetadjectives/nouns + searchan internet/online search She did an online search for good hotels in the area.verbsdo a search (on the internet) I did a search on the internet and found an article about the history of the town.search + nounsa search engine (=a computer program that helps you find information on the internet) I tried looking for the information again, using a different search engine.search results (=the information you get from an internet search) The search results are displayed at the top of the screen.a search string (=a series of words that you search for) I tried again, using a different search string.
noun | verb
search2 /sɜːtʃ $ sɜːrtʃ/ verb to look carefully for someone or somethingadverbssearch carefully/thoroughly Police searched the building carefully, but didn’t find a weapon.search frantically/desperately (=in a hurried way, because you feel very worried) Parents frantically searched for their children.search everywhere They searched everywhere but there was no sign of Henry.search around (=in many places) They searched around until they found the keys.search far and wide (=over a large area) We had to search far and wide to find a shop that stocked this product.search sth from top to bottom (=search all the rooms in a building) They searched the house from top to bottom.search high and low (=search in every place you can think of – used especially when you have been unsuccessful) I’ve searched high and low for my glasses. | We searched high and low for him, but couldn’t find him.search systematically (=in a planned and thorough way) I went upstairs and systematically searched Bobby’s room.actively search for sth/sb (=try hard to find them) Students are given the opportunity to actively search for information about a topic they are interested in.prepositionssearch for sb/sth Detectives continue to search for clues. | He immediately searched the internet for any relevant information. search through sth She searched through all his clothes.search under/in etc sth Katie searched under the bed for her shoes.phrasessearch in vain (=without success) He searched in vain for a means of escape.THESAURUS: search look for sb/sth to try to get someone or something you want or need: I’m looking for something to wear for my sister’s wedding. | The band is looking for a singer. | He’s decided to look for a new career. try to find sb/sth used especially when someone or something is difficult to find: I spent half an hour trying to find a parking space. | She was in the kitchen, trying to find something to eat. seek formaladvice | help | information | work | employment | refuge | asylum | justice to try to find or get something or someone: If you feel a pain in your chest, you should seek medical advice as soon as possible. | She was worried about her son and she decided to seek professional help. | They had hundreds of calls from relatives seeking information about the accident. | Her father came to the US seeking work. | They decided to seek refuge in the forest (=try to find a place where you will be safe). | He went to the US embassy, seeking asylum (=trying to find a country where you can live safely). | The family say they are seeking justice for the men (=they are trying to make sure the men are treated fairly according to the law).Seek is often used in newspaper advertisements when trying to find a suitable person: Tall blond 18-year-old male seeks female 17+ for friendship. hunt to look for someone or something for a long time in a lot of different places: I’ve hunted everywhere, but I can’t find the keys. | Police are still hunting for the killer. | Investigators are at the crime scene hunting for clues.Hunt is also often used in the phrase house/job/bargain hunting: She’s gone out bargain-hunting in the sales. "Any luck with the job-hunting?" she asked. be on the lookout for sb/sth to be continuously looking for someone or something: Journalists are always on the lookout for interesting stories. leave no stone unturned to look for someone or something in every possible place: The police say they will leave no stone unturned in their search for the killer.
随便看

英语词组固定搭配大全包含4241条英汉双解词组,基本涵盖了全部常用英文词组、短语的翻译及用法,是英语学习的有利工具。

Copyright © 2004-2022 Newdu.com All Rights Reserved
更新时间:2024/9/21 12:40:37