请输入您要查询的英文词组:

词组 pay
释义
verb | noun
pay1 /peɪ/ verb 1. to give someone money for something you buy or for a servicenounspay £10/$50 etc I only paid ten pounds for it.pay a bill/invoice He didn’t have enough money to pay the electricity bill.pay rent I can’t afford to pay the rent on this apartment any more.adverbspay handsomely (=pay a lot of money) Customers are willing to pay handsomely for anti-ageing creams.prepositionspay for sth My parents paid for my trip.phrasespay (in) cash You have to pay in cash for the tickets.pay by cheque BrE pay by check AmE I filled up with petrol and then paid by cheque.pay by credit card Many websites charge more if you pay by credit card.pay in dollars/euros etc American exporters want to be paid in dollars.THESAURUS: pay meet the cost of sth to pay for something for someone else, or to provide the money needed to do something: We will meet the cost of your travelling expenses. | The cost will be met from public donations. foot the bill to pay for something for someone else, especially when you do not want to, or do not think that you should: As usual, the taxpayer will have to foot the bill. pick up the tab informal to pay for something: My company will pick up the tab for all moving costs. fork out/shell out informal to pay a lot of money for something because you have to and not because you want to: He had to fork out £500 to get his car fixed. | Fans are having to shell out roughly $65 per seat for football games. settle the bill to pay the bill after eating a meal, staying in a hotel etc: She went down to the hotel lobby to settle the bill. give especially spoken to pay a particular amount of money for something – used especially when saying how much you are willing to pay: How much will you give me for the car? | I’ll give you $50 for the lot (=for everything). sth is on sb spoken used when saying that someone else will pay for your meal, drinks etc: Put your money away – the meal is on me. | The drinks are on the house (=the bar, restaurant etc will let you have them for free).2. to give someone money for the job they donounsbe paid wages/a salary The workers are paid very low wages.pay sb money Some people think footballers are paid too much money.pay sb £200 a week/$100 a day etc The cleaners are paid £6 an hour.adverbswell paid Teachers here are well paid.highly paid We don’t need a highly paid expert to tell us what is wrong with the company.be paid weekly/monthly Most of us get paid weekly or monthly.badly paid/poorly paid Nurses are badly paid.phrasesbe paid by the hour/day/week I was working on a building site, being paid by the hour.Paid work and paid holidayPaid work is work that you are paid to do. Paid holiday or paid leave is time when you are not working but are still paid.
verb | noun
pay2 /peɪ/ noun money that you are given for doing your jobadjectives/nouns + paylow pay They work long hours for low pay.good pay The work was easy and the pay was pretty good.higher/better pay Workers demanded higher pay.equal pay (=the same pay for the same type of work) The women at the factory went on strike for equal pay.full pay After the accusation was made, he was suspended on full pay.half pay In 1822 he retired from the army as captain on half pay.sb’s annual/monthly/weekly/hourly pay His annual pay of over £100,000 was excessive.basic pay BrE base pay AmE (=not including extra money such as overtime pay) The basic pay is very low, so they work a lot of extra hours.take-home pay (=after tax etc has been taken away) Their average take-home pay is just £120.overtime pay (=for extra hours that you work) Police officers get a lot of overtime pay for working at weekends.holiday pay BrE vacation pay AmE (=pay when you are on holiday) People used not to get holiday pay.sick pay (=pay when you are ill) As a self-employed person, you get no sick pay or benefits.maternity pay (=pay given to a woman who takes time off to have a baby) If you have worked here a year, you are entitled to 3 months maternity pay.redundancy pay BrE severance pay AmE (=a payment made to someone when there is no longer a job for them) The former employees will receive 2 years' redundancy pay.pay + nounsa pay increase All staff will receive a 3% pay increase this year.a pay rise BrE a pay raise AmE (=a pay increase) If you get promoted, will you get a pay rise?a pay cut Staff were asked to take a 10% pay cut.a pay freeze (=when no one’s pay is increased) Ministers have approved a public sector pay freeze.a pay cheque BrE a paycheck AmE (=the money you earn every week or month) He said he would pay me back when he got his next pay cheque.a pay dispute (=a disagreement between an employer and employees about pay) Many flights were cancelled because of a pilots’ pay dispute.a pay claim BrE (=an official request for more pay) The miners went on strike in support of their pay claim.a pay scale (=a range of levels of pay in an organization) She was already at the top end of the pay scale.verbsget/receive pay His wife is also a doctor and receives similar pay. | She works extremely hard and gets no pay.earn your pay (=deserve the money you get) Every player earned his pay this week.increase/improve sb’s pay He thinks we should increase soldiers’ pay.prepositionson low/full etc pay Those on low pay do not have to pay for medical treatment.phrasesrate of pay/pay rate (=the amount paid every hour, week etc) Many workers in the catering industry are on low rates of pay.pay and conditions The unions are demanding better pay and conditions.THESAURUS: pay salary
随便看

英语词组固定搭配大全包含4241条英汉双解词组,基本涵盖了全部常用英文词组、短语的翻译及用法,是英语学习的有利工具。

Copyright © 2004-2022 Newdu.com All Rights Reserved
更新时间:2024/9/21 10:52:13