请输入您要查询的英文词组:

词组 relationship
释义
relationship /rɪˈleɪʃənʃɪp/ noun 1. the way in which people behave towards each otheradjectives/nouns + relationshipa good/great relationship Over the years, we’ve developed a good relationship.a close relationship Laura had a very close relationship with her grandmother.a friendly relationship also a harmonious relationship formal My friendly relationship with Scott’s family continued after his death.a strong relationship Our relationship is strong enough to survive anything.a special relationship (=a particularly close relationship) I did not want to risk losing this special relationship we shared.a supportive relationship People who lack supportive relationships may be at risk of depression.a love–hate relationship (=when someone both likes and dislikes someone else) The local people have a love–hate relationship with tourists.family relationships Travelling a lot for business can strain family relationships.human relationships Human relationships fascinate me.a personal relationship Drinking affects personal relationships.a working relationship (=a relationship appropriate for people who work together) She’s a fine actress and we developed a great working relationship.a social relationship He is not very good at forming social relationships.a business/professional relationship Both companies want to continue their business relationship into the future.the doctor-patient/parent-child/teacher-student etc relationship Problems between adults can also harm the developing parent-child relationship.verbshave/enjoy a relationship We’ve always had a good relationship with our neighbours.develop/form/build a relationship By that age, children start developing relationships outside the family.make relationships I found it hard to make new relationships.establish a relationship A shopkeeper needs to establish a friendly relationship with his customers.forge a relationship (=develop a strong relationship) We want to forge closer relationships with our allies.maintain a relationship The US government is keen to maintain good relationships with all countries in the region.cement a relationship (=make it firm and strong) We want to cement relationships with other clubs in the area.damage/undermine a relationship We don’t want to risk undermining the good relationship between different faith communities here.prepositionsa relationship between sb (and sb) The relationships between pupils and teachers are excellent.a relationship with sb The company has always had a good relationship with the media.a relationship of trust/confidence/respect etc It’s important that a relationship of trust exists between workers and managers.THESAURUS: relationship affair a secret sexual relationship between two people, when one or both of them is married to someone else: I had no idea that Mike was having an affair with Carolyn! | The affair had been going on for years before her husband found out. | Burton had been involved in an affair with a woman who ended up taking most of his money. fling a short and not very serious relationship: They had a fling years ago. | Yes, I did go out with him, but it was just a short fling. | She wasn’t interested in anything more than a casual fling. | She left her husband after she learned about his fling with an exotic dancer. romance an exciting and often short relationship between two people who feel very much in love with each other: It was a beautiful summer romance, but they knew it couldn’t last. | Richard and Penny had made no great secret of their romance, even though they were both married. | My romance with Lois did not survive our high school graduation.2. the way in which things are connected and affect each otheradjectivesa close relationship There is a close relationship between drugs and crime.a strong/significant relationship Studies show a significant relationship between smoking and heart disease.a direct relationship There is a direct relationship between the demand for a particular product and its price.an inverse relationship formal (= when one is great, the other is small) There seems to be an inverse relationship between the amount of advice that a parent gives and a child’s willingness to listen.a causal relationship formal (=when one thing causes another) There is no causal relationship between the age of the mother and these birth defects.verbshave/bear a relationship (to sth) The allegations bore no relationship to the facts.establish/discover a relationship (=prove that it exists) The book tries to establish a relationship between the war and social conditions in Europe.explore/examine/investigate a relationship (=consider or discuss it) The next chapter explores the relationship between China’s history and its current economic success.there is a relationship/a relationship exists No relationship exists between the size of the prison population and the level of crime.a relationship emerges (=people realize that it exists) If we look at these figures, a close relationship emerges between work done and profit earned.prepositionsa relationship to sth I considered students’ patterns of study and their relationship to exam performance.a relationship between sth (and sth) In this programme, we look at the relationship between food and health.3. a friendship between people who love or like each other very muchadjectivesa serious/steady/long-term relationship (=one that lasts a long time) It was her first serious relationship.a sexual relationship He admitted having a sexual relationship with a patient.a stormy/turbulent relationship (=one that involves many arguments) The singer had a stormy relationship with her boyfriend and they split up several times.a loving relationship (=in which people love each other) They had a warm loving relationship.an on-off relationship (=existing sometimes and not at other times) Details of their on-off relationship appeared in all the newspapers.verbsend a relationship also break off a relationship She was very upset when he ended their relationship.start/begin a relationship I’m in no hurry to start another relationship.a relationship ends/fails also a relationship breaks up/down She moved to a different city and the relationship ended soon after.prepositionsa relationship with sb She’s the actress who had a relationship with the president.be in a relationship (=have a relationship with each other) Even their closest friends didn’t know they were in a relationship.
随便看

英语词组固定搭配大全包含4241条英汉双解词组,基本涵盖了全部常用英文词组、短语的翻译及用法,是英语学习的有利工具。

Copyright © 2004-2022 Newdu.com All Rights Reserved
更新时间:2024/9/21 10:54:43