请输入您要查询的英文词组:

词组 mysterious
释义
mysterious /mɪˈstɪəriəs $ -ˈstɪr-/ adjective difficult to explain or understandmysterious + nounsa mysterious man/woman/figure Jim attracts the attention of a mysterious woman, who keeps sending him gifts.a mysterious stranger A mysterious stranger saved her life.sb’s mysterious death Detectives are investigating the mysterious death of a young soldier.a mysterious illness/disease/accident The doctor was unable to explain his patient’s mysterious illness.sb’s mysterious disappearance The case ended after the mysterious disappearance of the main witness.mysterious powers Scientists are often puzzled by the mysterious powers of nature.nouns + mysterioussomething mysterious There was something mysterious about him and she wanted to ask so many questions.phrasesdie/disappear/vanish in mysterious circumstances He disappeared in mysterious circumstances, just before the wedding.If you cannot understand something and it seems strange, you can also say that it is a mystery: His death remains a mystery. The way his mind works is a mystery to me.If you say that an event is shrouded/veiled in mystery, it seems very mysterious and no one knows exactly what happened: The actor’s death is still shrouded in mystery.THESAURUS: mysterious puzzlingquestion | situation | phenomenon | aspect difficult to explain or understand, especially so that you spend a long time thinking about something: There was the puzzling question of where the money had gone. | It is a puzzling situation when a bright child has difficulty with spelling. | The northern lights are a puzzling phenomenon (=a puzzling thing that happens). | One of the most puzzling aspects of the case is why anyone would have wanted to kill him. | I found her attitude deeply puzzling. bafflingcase | murder | mystery impossible to understand or solve, so that you feel very confused: It was a baffling case for the police. | The book is the story of the baffling murder of two young men. | The ship’s disappearance remained a baffling mystery. | Like many people, I find the whole thing completely baffling. inexplicable formalreason | feeling | behaviour | event | phenomenon impossible to explain: For some inexplicable reason, her mind went completely blank. | She had an inexplicable feeling that she knew what was going to happen next. | Perhaps drink was the true explanation of his inexplicable behaviour. | No one knows the cause of these inexplicable events. | The film’s success was an inexplicable phenomenon. enigmatic formalsmile | expression | figure | man | reply mysterious and difficult to understand, but also often attractive or interesting: When our eyes met, she gave me an enigmatic smile. | He was watching her with an enigmatic expression on his face. | Throughout his life, the great writer remained an enigmatic figure. | He was the strangest-looking and most enigmatic man. | “Why did you climb the mountain?” he asked. “Because it’s there,” came the enigmatic reply. cryptic formalmessage | remark | comment | reference having a meaning that is difficult to understand, and is not expressed in a clear direct way: I received a rather cryptic message, which said that the time for waiting was over. | He made a cryptic remark about internet freedom. | She made a cryptic comment about the two of us being ‘close friends’. | His plays are full of cryptic references.
随便看

英语词组固定搭配大全包含4241条英汉双解词组,基本涵盖了全部常用英文词组、短语的翻译及用法,是英语学习的有利工具。

Copyright © 2004-2022 Newdu.com All Rights Reserved
更新时间:2024/9/21 13:41:28