请输入您要查询的英文词组:

词组 material
释义
material /məˈtɪəriəl $ -ˈtɪr-/ noun 1. a substance, especially one that can be used for making thingsadjectives/nouns + materialraw material The island has to import oil and other raw materials. natural material We only use natural materials in our products.a man-made/synthetic material It looks like wood but has all the advantages of a modern synthetic material.local material The houses are built using local materials.genetic material (=that consists of genes) Scientists analyzed the genetic material in these cells.building/construction material The company supplies bricks, concrete, and other building materials.radioactive material (=dangerous because it contains substances such as uranium) A cloud of radioactive material had leaked from the nuclear reactor.THESAURUS: material substance a type of material such as a chemical or a mineral: The green colour of the leaf is due to a substance called chlorophyll. | Dioxin is one of the most toxic substances known to man. | Police found illegal substances in his apartment (=illegal drugs). matter formal a type of substance – used especially in the phrases waste matter and organic matter: It is important to add plenty of organic matter to the soil (=matter produced from living things, for example old leaves or food waste, which makes the soil good for growing things in). | Thousands of tons of waste matter are being dumped in the ocean. | People throw away lots of vegetable matter. stuff informal a substance – used especially when you do not know exactly what it is: What’s that sticky stuff on the floor?2. cloth used for making clothes, curtains etcGrammarAlways uncountable in this meaning.nouns + materialdress/curtain material She bought some pretty dress material. | I can’t find any curtain material that I like.phrasesscraps of material (=little pieces) I keep all the scraps of material that I don’t use.a kind of material She was wearing a scarf made of some kind of soft materialTHESAURUS: material fabric cloth used for making clothes, curtains etc: Man-made fabrics such as polyester are easy to wash and iron. | He designed furnishing fabrics for people’s houses. cloth material that has been produced by weaving, especially material made from natural substances such as cotton and wool: The main trade was the production of woollen cloth. | There was a sharp decline in cloth exports. | The women were covered in black cloth. | His trousers were made of a kind of coarse cloth (=a rough material). textiles formal a general word for all types of cloth – used especially when talking about the business of producing and selling them: Textiles are one of Mexico’s main exports. | They work in the textile industry. | Many textile mills closed down because of foreign competition. | 15,000 female textile workers went on strike, demanding better working conditions.
随便看

英语词组固定搭配大全包含4241条英汉双解词组,基本涵盖了全部常用英文词组、短语的翻译及用法,是英语学习的有利工具。

Copyright © 2004-2022 Newdu.com All Rights Reserved
更新时间:2024/9/21 10:43:51