请输入您要查询的英文词组:

词组 laugh
释义
verb | noun
laugh1 /lɑːf $ læf/ verb to make sounds with your voice when you think something is funnyverbsbegin/start to laugh The audience began to laugh as soon as they heard his voice.make sb laugh I like her – she always makes me laugh.want to laugh They all looked so serious that I wanted to laugh.try not to laugh “Are you all right?” she said, trying not to laugh.adverbslaugh out loud (=laugh loudly, so people can hear you) The book was so funny that it made me laugh out loud.laugh hysterically (=laugh a lot in a loud uncontrolled way) When his trousers fell down, everyone started laughing hysterically.laugh uncontrollably/helplessly (=laugh a lot and in a way that you cannot control) Laughing helplessly, she tried to pull me out of the mud.laugh nervously A few people laughed nervously, not sure whether he was really angry.laugh heartily formal (=laugh a lot) The audience laughed heartily throughout the play.prepositionslaugh at sth She never laughs at my jokes.laugh at sb (=in a way that is not kind) When he got the answer wrong, the other children laughed at him.laugh about/over sth I can laugh about it now, but at the time it was rather frightening.phrasesburst out laughing (=suddenly start laughing) She looked at his silly hat and burst out laughing.laugh till you cry also laugh till the tears run down your face He leaned back in his chair and laughed till the tears ran down his face.laugh your head off informal (=laugh a lot) It was really funny – we were all laughing our heads off.fall about laughing BrE (=laugh a lot) He saw the look on my face and he just fell about laughing.THESAURUS: laugh giggle to laugh quickly in a high voice, especially in a slightly silly way, or because you are nervous or embarrassed: A group of teenage girls were giggling in a corner. | She tends to giggle when she meets new people. chuckle to laugh quietly, especially because you are thinking about or reading something funny: He was chuckling to himself over an article in the paper. | "We used to get up to all kinds of mischief." She chuckled at the memory. snigger BrE snicker AmE to laugh quietly in an unkind or unpleasant way, for example when someone is hurt or embarrassed: Billy stood up and started to sing, and one or two people sniggered. titter to laugh quietly in a high voice, especially about something that is rude or about sex, or is embarrassing for someone: As a nation we love to titter over politicians’ sex scandals. | A group of schoolboys were tittering over a magazine. roar with laughter to laugh very loudly, especially with a deep voice: I could hear my father roaring with laughter at something on TV. shriek with laughter to laugh very loudly, especially with a high voice: Patsy chased him down the stairs, shrieking with laughter. howl with laughter to laugh very loudly – used especially about a group of people laughing together: His plays have made audiences howl with laughter. in stitches laughing so much that you cannot stop: It was such a funny film – it had us all in stitches (=it made us laugh a lot). guffaw to laugh very loudly and without trying to stop yourself: The audience guffawed at his nonstop jokes. cackle to laugh loudly in an unpleasant way: The old woman cackled at us when she realised the trouble she was causing.
verb | noun
laugh2 /lɑːf $ læf/ noun the act of laughing or the sound you make when you laughadjectives/nouns + laugha loud laugh There was a loud laugh from someone in the audience.a little/short/small laugh When I asked her what happened, she let out a little laugh.a nervous laugh “Don’t be silly,” she said with a nervous laugh.a big/huge laugh The joke received the biggest laugh of the evening.a hearty laugh formal (=a loud laugh that shows you really enjoyed something) With a hearty laugh, he began to tell the story.a belly laugh (=a deep loud laugh) It’s the kind of comedy that raises a smile rather than a belly laugh.verbsgive a laugh/let out a laugh She saw the picture and let out a loud laugh.burst into a laugh (=start laughing) He burst into a laugh when I asked if they paid well.get a laugh also raise a laugh BrE (=make people laugh) Most of his jokes didn’t even get a laugh.stifle/suppress a laugh (=stop yourself from laughing) I had to stifle a laugh when I saw what she was wearing.have a (good) laugh about/at/over sth The farmer had a good laugh at our attempts to catch the horse.get a laugh out of sb (=make someone laugh) She will do anything to get a laugh out of her audience.phrasesbe good for a laugh (=be enjoyable and amusing) His films are always good for a laugh.I could use a laugh (=I want to hear something funny to cheer me up) After the terrible day I’ve had, I could use a laugh.
随便看

英语词组固定搭配大全包含4241条英汉双解词组,基本涵盖了全部常用英文词组、短语的翻译及用法,是英语学习的有利工具。

Copyright © 2004-2022 Newdu.com All Rights Reserved
更新时间:2024/9/21 13:36:19