请输入您要查询的英文词组:

词组 hot
释义
hot /hɒt $ hɑːt/ adjective having a high temperaturenounshot weather/climate In hot weather, the plants need to be watered every day.a hot day/evening/summer It was a hot day and everyone was wearing T-shirts.a hot country The bird normally lives in hot countries.hot drink/food/meal A hot drink will help to warm you up.hot water/bath/shower There is hot water in all the rooms.adverbsincredibly hot (=very hot) Tokyo gets incredibly hot in summer.boiling hot (=very hot) The car is boiling hot.scorching hot (=extremely hot) The drill gets scorching hot. | a scorching hot dayblazing hot also baking hot BrE (=extremely hot – used about the weather) It was a baking hot week in August.scalding hot (=extremely hot – used about liquids) The coffee was scalding hot.burning hot (=used about someone’s skin or the weather) His forehead was burning hot. | The sun was burning hot.steaming hot (=used about drinks or the weather) The waitress put a steaming hot cup of coffee on the table. | a steaming hot day in New Orleanspiping hot (=very hot – used about food and drink) The fruit pie was covered with piping hot custard.red hot (=so hot that it glows red, or extremely hot to touch) Take care – the iron is red hot.white hot (=white hot metal has been heated to a very high temperature) He held the metal in the flame until it became white hot.uncomfortably hot The sweater made her feel uncomfortably hot.unbearably/oppressively hot (=so hot that it is very uncomfortable) The office gets unbearably hot in summer.verbsbe/feel hot I was hot and tired after the journey. | The wine made her feel hot.become/get hot The water gets hot very quickly.keep sth hot The flask will keep the tea hot.serve sth (while it is) hot Serve the soup hot with fresh bread.phraseshot and cold The bar serves hot and cold food.Hot is also used about food that is very spicy: I like a nice hot curry.THESAURUS: hot warmweather | climate | day | evening | summer | water | air | wind | clothes | bed | fire | bed a little hot, especially in a way that seems pleasant: People come to the coast to relax in the warm weather. | Florida is full of British people who are attracted by the warm climate. | Scrub your hands with soap and warm water. | I was looking forward to being in a nice warm bed. | It’s lovely and warm in here. | He moved his legs in order to try to keep warm. boiling spoken very hot: It’s boiling in my office. | You must be absolutely boiling in that sweater!Boiling is not usually used before a noun. You use boiling hot before a noun: a boiling hot day. scorchingheat | sun | weather | day | summer | desert extremely hot, especially because the sun is shining very strongly: The local people are accustomed to the scorching heat of the desert. | They walked in the scorching sun for several hours. | When we got to Spain, the weather was scorching. | It was a scorching day in August. | It looks like being another scorching summer. humidweather | climate | conditions | air | atmosphere | night | day | morning | summer hot and with a lot of moisture in the air: The weather becomes very humid during the rainy season . | Southern India has a very humid climate. | The humid air from the Arabian Sea rolls in at night. | The night was hot and humid, and she was unable to sleep. | Hong Kong gets very humid at this time of year. feverish feeling very hot because you are ill: His head ached and he felt feverish.Feverish is not usually used before a noun.Another way of saying that something is hotYou can also say that a room, car etc is like an oven: It’s like an oven in here.If part of your body feels very hot and painful, you say that it is burning: His forehead was burning. I had a burning sensation in my mouth.ANTONYMS cold1
随便看

英语词组固定搭配大全包含4241条英汉双解词组,基本涵盖了全部常用英文词组、短语的翻译及用法,是英语学习的有利工具。

Copyright © 2004-2022 Newdu.com All Rights Reserved
更新时间:2024/9/21 15:28:29