请输入您要查询的英文词组:

词组 first
释义
adjective, determiner | adverb
first1 /fɜːst $ fɜːrst/ adjective determiner coming before all the other things or people in a seriesnounsthe first time It was the first time she had been on a plane.the first day/month/year etc Today is the first day of spring.the first part/section/chapter/stage The first part of the report dealt with the school’s history.the first half/quarter The custom began in the first half of the 19th century.sb’s first book/film/record etc Shakespeare’s first play was ‘Henry VI, Part One’.sb’s first boyfriend/wife/child etc Her first husband died when he was very young.sb’s first reaction/response/instinct My first reaction was surprise.the first thing I just said the first thing that came into my head.the first step The first step is to get the evidence.the first sign/indication Chest pain can be the first sign of a heart attack.phrasesthe first (one) of its kind The service is believed to be the first of its kind.THESAURUS: first initialreaction | response | shock | impression | assessment | stage | phase | period | cost at the beginning, when something starts or has just happened. Initial is more formal than first: Her initial reaction was to laugh. | The initial response has been very positive. | Patrick’s initial shock was now turning to anger. | My initial impression was that he was very depressed. | The investigators will be carrying out an initial assessment of the damage. | Parents are very important in the initial stages of learning. | The initial phase of the project is now over. | The job is for an initial period of two years, although this may be extended. | The initial cost is higher than we expected. preliminaryresults | findings | report | investigation | inquiry | test | study | research | work | hearing | discussion coming before the main one: Preliminary results show that the drug is effective in over 60% of cases. | The preliminary findings were that 10% of Europe’s forests have been damaged by pollution. | This study confirms the results of our preliminary report. | The FBI announced that it was opening a preliminary investigation into the matter. | The US attorney is carrying out a preliminary inquiry, to find out if there was evidence of any illegal activities. | Preliminary tests have shown no evidence of dangerous levels of radiation. | Carbon could be stored deep under the Earth’s surface, according to a Dutch preliminary study. | Preliminary research shows that the town was originally a Viking settlement. | A lot of the preliminary work has been done already. | A short preliminary hearing of the case was held last Monday (=a meeting of a court of law or an official committee). | Officials from 35 countries held preliminary discussions on a European energy agreement. openingday | night | ceremony | session | stages | address | speech | words | lines | sentence | chapter | scene | bars happening at the beginning of an event, book, film, piece of music etc: Tomorrow is the opening day of the conference. | I hope you will be coming to the opening night of the play (=the first performance). | the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games | the opening session of the trial | In the opening stages of the war, there were attempts to find a peaceful solution. | His opening address to the Assembly lasted two and a half hours (=the opening speech). | In his opening speech, he warned about the threat of another nuclear war. | The opening words of the book are ‘Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.’ | “All happy families are similar, but an unhappy family is unhappy in its own special way,” observes Leo Tolstoy in the opening lines of Anna Karenina. | The opening sentence of George Orwell’s book ‘Nineteen Eighty-Four’ is “It was a bright cold day in April and the clocks were striking 13.” | As we saw in the opening chapter, there are many health risks associated with sport. | The opening scene of the film shows American soldiers arriving on the Normandy beaches. | The orchestra began playing the opening bars of Beethoven’s 5th symphony. introductorychapter | paragraph | section | essay | course | lecture | talk written, said, or done as an introduction: The introductory chapter opens with a general statement of the problem. | It is best to begin with an introductory paragraph, in which you explain the background to your essay. | The book has an excellent introductory section, which gives a brief history of the subject. | An introductory essay gives a brief account of Magritte’s intentions in his paintings. | This introductory course is designed to provide a general overview of Geographic Information Systems. | Michael was asked to give the introductory lecture at an engineering conference. | The day begins with a ten minute introductory talk.ANTONYMS last1 (1)
adjective, determiner | adverb
first2 /fɜːst $ fɜːrst/ adverb before anything or anyone elseverbsdo sth first/finish first An extra five points will be given to the team that finishes first.arrive/get somewhere first Cindy and Joe arrived first.first discover/find out about/hear about sth The disease was first discovered in 1986 in the UK.phrasesfirst of all First of all we’d better make sure we’ve got everything we need.first and foremost (=first and most importantly) He is first and foremost a brilliant engineer.THESAURUS: firstsaying the first thing that you want to mention first/firstly used when mentioning the first in a list of reasons, arguments, or questions to consider: I want you to consider these three points in your essay: first, what is the writer’s attitude to the war in this poem... | There are several reasons for this conclusion. Firstly... first of all used at the start of what you are going to say: First of all, I’d like to say a big ‘thank you’ to everyone who has supported us over the last two years. in the first place also for a start BrE spoken used when giving the first and most important reason or example, especially when you are arguing or discussing something with someone: Our main priority should be better public transport – in the first place to reduce the amount of traffic on our roads. | He’s not the right person for the job. For a start he’s too young. to begin with/to start with spoken used when telling someone the first and most important thing that you want to say: There are numerous activities on offer. To start with, there are over 60 miles of walks with splendid views. | Let me tell you something about him. To begin with, he is the most difficult man that I know.
随便看

英语词组固定搭配大全包含4241条英汉双解词组,基本涵盖了全部常用英文词组、短语的翻译及用法,是英语学习的有利工具。

Copyright © 2004-2022 Newdu.com All Rights Reserved
更新时间:2024/9/21 12:40:18