请输入您要查询的英文词组:

词组 false
释义
false /fɔːls $ fɒːls/ adjective not true or not realnounsa false name/address The man used a false name and address.false teeth/eyelashes/moustache My grandmother had false teeth.false information The company gave clients false information about their investments.false charges/allegations He claims that all the charges against him are false.a false idea/impression/assumption The ‘local’ label gives a false impression about where the food is from.false hopes/expectations The team had false hopes of an easy victory.a false premise/argument (=a false principle that you base your ideas on) The theory is based on a false premise.a false smile She looked at me with a false smile.false modesty If I say it was a lucky choice, it sounds like false modesty.adverbscompletely/entirely/absolutely false This story is completely false.patently/clearly false (=obviously false) Some of their claims are patently false.blatantly false (=obviously false in a shocking way) I am continually amazed by how much blatantly false information is on their website.phrasesa false sense of security The gun gave him a false sense of security.under false pretences (=used when someone gets something by deceiving people) She had obtained the money under false pretences.THESAURUS: false fakepassport | ID | painting | fur | jewellery | pearls | tan made to look like something else, especially in order to deceive people: The men were able to enter the country using fake passports. | The collar is made of fake fur. | You can use the cream to give yourself a fake tan.Fake can also be used as a noun: The painting is a fake. phoney/phony /ˈfəʊni $ ˈfoʊ-/ disapproving informalaccent | smile | story | excuse | name | address | certificate | passport false. You use phoney about what someone says or does, or about a name or document that is not real: He spoke with a phony American accent. | I made up some phony excuse about having problems with my car. | He gave the hotel a phoney address so that they could not contact him later. | She was caught using a phoney medical certificate.Phoney is also used as a noun: I knew the guy was a phony (=he was not who he said he was). imitationleather | silk | diamonds | pearls | gun imitation materials and objects are made to look like the real thing, especially something that is much more expensive: The shoes are made of imitation leather. | Only an expert can tell if the pearls are imitation. | The robbers used an imitation gun. | He was wearing an imitation Rolex watch.Imitation can also be used as a noun: The watch was an imitation. counterfeit /ˈkaʊntəfɪt $ -tər-/money | note | dollar bill | goods | tickets | drugs | medicines | cigarettes counterfeit money and goods are produced in large quantities by criminals in order to deceive people: He was arrested for trying to exchange counterfeit money. | The bank has issued a warning about counterfeit notes. | They found hundreds of counterfeit dollar bills in a suitcase under the bed. | Police seized thousands of pounds worth of counterfeit goods. | The authorities are concerned about the production of counterfeit medicines such as fake antibiotics. | About a third of the vodka that is sold is counterfeit. forgeddocument | passport | evidence | letter | signature | cheque | banknote a forged document, letter etc is made to look like a real one in order to deceive people: He is charged with using forged documents to get a work permit. | The evidence against him was all forged. | The passport had a forged signature on it. | They flooded the country with forged banknotes in order to destabilize the economy.You can also say that something is a forgery: The passport was a forgery. insincere if someone is insincere, he or she is not being honest about their true feelings: His apology sounded insincere and I didn’t believe a word of it. | He knew that her compliments were insincere.Insincere is not usually used before a noun. empty/hollowpromise | threat | gesture used when you do not believe that someone will do what they say: She accused the government of making empty promises in order to get votes. | He looked serious and I knew this was not a hollow threat. | We are not fooled by this empty gesture (=an action which will not have any real effect on the situation). spurious /ˈspjʊəriəs $ ˈspjʊr-/claim | argument | reason | excuse | charges | allegations used when you do not believe that what someone says is true, especially when it stops you from thinking about the real situation: Food manufacturers often make spurious claims about the health benefits of their products. | People say that the Earth’s climate is always changing, but that is a spurious argument. | The charges against him were spurious.THESAURUS: false untrue wrong (1)ANTONYMS realANTONYMS true
随便看

英语词组固定搭配大全包含4241条英汉双解词组,基本涵盖了全部常用英文词组、短语的翻译及用法,是英语学习的有利工具。

Copyright © 2004-2022 Newdu.com All Rights Reserved
更新时间:2024/9/21 13:42:05