请输入您要查询的英文词组:

词组 doubt
释义
verb | noun
doubt1 /daʊt/ verb [T not in progressive] to think that something may not be true or that it is unlikelyadverbsdoubt sth very much “Do you think you will ever go back there again?” “I doubt that very much.”seriously doubt (=doubt something very much) I seriously doubt that such a meeting would take place in the near future.phrasesI doubt it (=I don’t think so) “Do you think there’ll be any tickets left?” “I doubt it.”I never doubted sth (for one minute) (=you were completely sure about it) I never doubted for one minute that we would win.THESAURUS: doubt be doubtful/dubious to doubt that something will happen, is true, or is a good idea: Economists are doubtful that the situation will improve this year. | “You can eat the whole fish including the head.” Janey looked dubious. | When my husband suggested emigrating, I was dubious at first. | Mum looked doubtful when I suggested having a party for all my friends. have reservations to feel that a plan or idea may not be good because you think there may be some problems with it: Health care professionals had reservations about giving both vaccines together. have misgivings to feel worried about doing something, because it may have a bad result: Ralph had serious misgivings about changing his career at the age of 50. have mixed feelings to be unsure exactly how you feel about something or someone because there are both good and bad things about them: I have very mixed feelings about moving house – it’s exciting but I’ll miss this area. have second thoughts to start having doubts about whether a decision you have just made is the right one: I liked the dress in the shop, but when I got it home I had second thoughts.
verb | noun
doubt2 /daʊt/ noun a feeling of being not sure about somethingadjectivesserious/grave doubts They have some serious doubts as to his honesty. | I have grave doubts about whether this is the right thing to do.considerable doubts He had considerable doubts about accepting the job.a lingering/nagging doubt (=that does not go away) I still had a nagging doubt that there might be something seriously wrong. | There was still one little nagging doubt at the back of his mind.growing/increasing doubts There have been growing doubts about the accuracy of the test results.verbshave doubts also harbour doubts formal Scientists still have some doubts about the theory.feel doubt He felt some doubt about whether the treatment would work.express/voice doubts (=say that you have doubts) Many people expressed doubts about the necessity of the war.raise doubts (=make people unsure about something) The disaster raised doubts about the safety of nuclear power.cast/throw doubt on sth (=make people unsure about something) Research has cast doubt on the safety of mobile phones.call/throw sth into doubt (=make people unsure about something) The accuracy of his account was called into doubt.remove doubt(s) also dispel doubts formal The new evidence removes any doubt that the men are guilty.prepositionsdoubt about sth There is no doubt about what he wants.doubt over sth There are continuing doubts over his fitness.doubt as to sth Some government ministers had serious doubts as to whether the policy would work.in doubt (=not sure) If in doubt, ask your teacher.without doubt She is, without doubt, the most beautiful woman I have ever seen.beyond doubt (=definitely) The test proved beyond doubt that Paul was her father.phraseshave no/little doubt (=be completely sure) I have no doubt that you are right.be in no doubt/not be in any doubt (=be completely sure) The government is in no doubt about the seriousness of the situation.leave no/little doubt (=make people sure or almost sure about something) The evidence left no doubt that he was the murderer.there is no/little/some doubt (=used to talk about how sure people are about something) There is little doubt that he will play for England one day. | There’s no doubt that he was a major artist.without/beyond a shadow of a doubt (=without any doubt) I knew without a shadow of a doubt that I was going to win.not the slightest doubt (=no doubt at all) There’s not the slightest doubt in my mind about it.an element of doubt (=a slight doubt) There’s an element of doubt about his true age as he doesn’t have a birth certificate.
随便看

英语词组固定搭配大全包含4241条英汉双解词组,基本涵盖了全部常用英文词组、短语的翻译及用法,是英语学习的有利工具。

Copyright © 2004-2022 Newdu.com All Rights Reserved
更新时间:2024/9/21 13:17:59