请输入您要查询的英文词组:

词组 die
释义
die /daɪ/ verb to stop living and become deadadverbsdie suddenly Jack died suddenly of a heart attack.die instantly (=as soon as an accident, injury etc happens) He was shot in the head and died instantly.die peacefully (=calmly and without pain) My grandmother died peacefully in her sleep.die tragically His wife had died tragically in an accident.die young They had seven children and three of them died young.die alone It’s very sad to think of someone dying alone in hospital. | He was terrified of being single all his life and dying alone.die unmarried He died unmarried in 1922.die penniless (=without any money) Van Gogh died penniless, but his paintings were later worth millions.prepositionsdie of/from sth His mother died of cancer. | Too many people in the world are dying from preventable illnesses.die in a fire/crash/fall etc Her father died in a car crash when she was only ten.die for your country/beliefs/principles etc (=be killed while fighting to defend something) Would you be willing to die for your beliefs?phrasesdie aged 35/50 etc Her father died aged 84.die in your sleep We would all prefer to die peacefully in our sleep.die in suspicious/mysterious circumstances (=used to say that someone may have been killed) He got involved with drugs and died in mysterious circumstances.die from natural causes (=not because of being killed by someone else) The coroner concluded that Wilks had died from natural causes.die a sudden/violent/slow etc death At the end of the play, the main character dies a violent death.die a hero/a rich man etc He died a hero on the battlefield.die in childbirth (=giving birth to a baby) In the 19th century, it was fairly common for women to die in childbirth.until/til the day I die (=for someone’s whole life) Their screams will haunt me until the day I die.sb’s dying wish (=someone’s last wish) It was my father’s dying wish to be buried with my mother.sb’s dying breath (=someone’s last breath, before they die) With her dying breath, she cursed the soldiers.THESAURUS: die pass away to die – used when you want to avoid using the word ‘die’, in order to show respect or to avoid upsetting someone: His wife passed away six years ago. pass on to pass away – use this especially when you believe that the soul has a life after the death of the body: I’m sorry, Emily, but your mother has passed on. lose your life to be killed in a terrible event: Hundreds of people lost their lives when the ship overturned in a storm. perish literary to die in a terrible event – used especially in literature and news reports: Five children perished before firefighters could put out the blaze. give your life/lay down your life formal to die in order to save someone, or because of something that you believe in: We honor the men and women who have given their lives in service of their country. drop dead informal to suddenly die, when people do not expect you to: One day, he came home from work and dropped dead of a heart attack.
随便看

英语词组固定搭配大全包含4241条英汉双解词组,基本涵盖了全部常用英文词组、短语的翻译及用法,是英语学习的有利工具。

Copyright © 2004-2022 Newdu.com All Rights Reserved
更新时间:2024/6/3 4:41:54