请输入您要查询的英文词组:

词组 describe
释义
describe /dɪˈskraɪb/ verb to say what someone or something is like by giving details about themadverbsdescribe sb/sth accurately Which of the following words most accurately describes you?describe sb/sth perfectly This passage perfectly describes the way you feel on a hot humid day.describe sb/sth vividly (=with a lot of details, so you can imagine them very clearly) Victorian London is vividly described in the novels of Charles Dickens.describe sb/sth fully Can you describe the man you saw more fully?describe sth briefly The introduction briefly describes how and why the two men began their research.prepositionsdescribe sb/sth to sb When she described him to me, I immediately realized who she was talking about.describe sb/sth as sth Colleagues describe her as ‘dynamic’ and ‘highly focused’.phrasesbe difficult/hard/not easy to describe My feelings at the time are very difficult to describe.describe sth in great detail The article describes in great detail how the device works.THESAURUS: describe tell sb about sb/sth to describe someone or something to someone. This phrase is more commonly used than describe in everyday spoken English: So, tell me about your holiday! | My friends have told me all about you! depict formal to describe someone or something in a piece of writing: His stories depict life in Trinidad as seen through the eyes of a young boy. | In this new biography she is depicted as a lonely and unhappy woman. portray/represent formal to describe someone or something in a particular way: College teachers are often represented on television shows as slightly eccentric. | The magazine has been criticized for the way it portrays women. | The treatment has been portrayed as a painless way of curing cancer, which is simply not true. | Police have represented her as a willing participant in the crimes. characterize sb/sth as sth formal to describe someone or something by emphasizing one particular quality or feature about them: He characterized himself as ‘an average American’. | The successful schools were characterized as innovative and creative. paint sb/sth as sth to describe someone or something, especially in a way that makes people believe something that is not true: Not all young people are as bad as they’re painted in the press. | We won, yet the media is painting it as a victory for our opponents. | The woman was painted as having only a slight grasp of reality. paint a picture of sth to describe a situation, so that people can get a general idea of what it is like: Can you paint a picture of life in Japan for us? | My uncle’s letters generally painted a rosy picture of how things were (=make them seem good, especially better than they really are). | The report painted a bleak picture of the management’s failures (=make them seem very bad).
随便看

英语词组固定搭配大全包含4241条英汉双解词组,基本涵盖了全部常用英文词组、短语的翻译及用法,是英语学习的有利工具。

Copyright © 2004-2022 Newdu.com All Rights Reserved
更新时间:2024/9/21 13:42:41