请输入您要查询的英文词组:

词组 cry
释义
verb | noun
cry1 /kraɪ/ verb 1. to produce tears, usually because you are unhappy or hurtadverbscry quietly/softly/silently The woman was crying softly to herself in a corner of the room.cry loudly The little boy cried loudly and refused to go up to his room.cry uncontrollably When she saw him, she started to cry uncontrollably.cry hysterically (=very loudly and uncontrollably) The girl cried hysterically and her friends tried to calm her.verbsmake sb cry The end of the book was so sad that it made me cry.prepositionscry about/over sth I didn’t know what he was crying about. | There is no point in crying over that now.cry for sb (=because you feel sorry for them, or want them) She cried for herself and for all those who had suffered like her. | The baby was crying for her mother.cry with rage/pain/relief etc I was almost crying with rage.phrasescan’t stop crying She was so unhappy, she couldn’t stop crying.feel like crying (=used when something makes you feel very upset) Today’s been a really bad day. I just felt like crying.cry your eyes out/cry your heart out (=cry a lot) Lucy read the letter and cried her eyes out.cry all the time When my girlfriend left me, I cried all the time.cry like a baby (=cry a lot and without control) I cried like a baby when I heard the news.cry yourself to sleep (=cry until you fall asleep) That night, in his lonely room, he cried himself to sleep.cry so hard (that)... She was crying so hard they couldn’t understand what she was saying.THESAURUS: cry be in tears to be crying: By the end of his story, we were all in tears. be close to tears to be almost crying: You could see that she was close to tears. weep literary to cry, especially for a long time: His mother put her head on the table and wept. sob to cry, taking sudden loud breaths: I could hear someone sobbing in the next room. wail to cry very loudly in a high voice: The baby started wailing for its mother. whimper to cry quietly and weakly: She began rocking to and fro, whimpering softly. hold/fight back the tears to make a big effort not to cry: She told her story, struggling to hold back the tears. your eyes water if your eyes water, they have tears in them, for example because of smoke, wind, or when you are cutting onions: The onions were making my eyes water. | She was laughing so much that her eyes started to water.to start crying burst into tears to suddenly start crying: The man shouted at her and she suddenly burst into tears. break down to start crying after trying hard not to cry, especially when talking about something very upsetting: He broke down and begged for forgiveness. | When I saw what had happened to him, I just broke down and cried.2. to shout or say something loudly: “Someone please help us!” he cried. I heard someone cry my name.
verb | noun
cry2 /kraɪ/ noun a shout or a loud sound expressing pain, fear, pleasure etcadjectives/nouns + crya loud cry There were loud cries of protest when he said this.a great cry (=a loud cry by a lot of people) With a great cry, they charged into battle.a small/little cry She gave a small cry and ran towards me.a low cry (=not loud or high) I heard a long low cry of despair.a sharp cry (=loud, short, and sudden) He gave a sharp cry of pain.a strangled/stifled cry (=that stops before it is finished) The girl gave a stifled cry of disappointment.a muffled/faint cry (=that cannot be heard clearly) I thought I heard a muffled cry from the next room.an anguished/agonised/desperate cry (=full of unhappiness) She gave an anguished cry, calling his name.a plaintive cry (=a high sad cry) They could hear the plaintive cries of the wounded.a wild cry (=showing uncontrolled emotion) Their wild cries frightened me.a battle/war cry (=used in a battle to show courage and frighten the enemy) They charged forward, shouting their battle cry.verbsgive/let out/utter a cry The woman looked up and gave a cry of fear. | Seeing the mountains, she uttered a cry of delight.prepositionsa cry of pain/despair/delight etc He fell with a sharp cry of surprise.a cry for help/mercy etc Two walkers heard his cries for help.a cry of "No"/"Stop" etc There were cries of “No!” from the crowd.
随便看

英语词组固定搭配大全包含4241条英汉双解词组,基本涵盖了全部常用英文词组、短语的翻译及用法,是英语学习的有利工具。

Copyright © 2004-2022 Newdu.com All Rights Reserved
更新时间:2024/9/21 11:17:11