请输入您要查询的英文词组:

词组 clean
释义
adjective | verb
clean1 /kliːn/ adjective 1. without any dirt, marks etcnounsclean clothes He changed into some clean clothes.a clean shirt/sheet/towel I put on a clean white shirt.clean hands/face/teeth Make sure you have clean hands before you eat.a clean room/house/apartment Her mother always kept the house very clean.clean air/water (=free from dirt or pollution) The air is much cleaner outside the city.clean energy (=which does not cause pollution) Wind power is an excellent source of clean energy.a wound/cut is clean (=with no bacteria or infection) Always make sure that the wound is clean.a clean needle/bandage (=unused and without blood, bacteria etc) Drug users should be given access to clean needles.verbskeep sth clean You should always keep your kitchen clean.get sth clean It took me ages to get the tiles clean.wipe sth clean (=with a cloth) He started to wipe the blackboard clean.wash sth clean (=used about the rain or the sea) The streets had been washed clean by the rain.sweep/scrub sth clean (=with a brush) She quickly swept the floor clean.scrape sth clean (=by rubbing the dirt, ice etc off it) I scraped the dirty plates clean.leave sth clean Please leave the apartment clean when you go.adverbsspotlessly/immaculately clean (=completely clean – used for emphasis) The floor was spotlessly clean.completely/perfectly clean It is almost impossible to get the glass completely clean. | His fingernails were perfectly clean.sparkling clean (=very clean) I want everything sparkling clean!scrupulously clean (=very carefully cleaned) Hospitals must be kept scrupulously clean.phrasesnice and clean Their job is to keep the streets nice and clean.clean and tidy BrE neat and clean especially AmE Her kids were always neat and clean. | I insist my children keep their rooms clean and tidy.(as) clean as a whistle informal (=very clean) The place was clean as a whistle.THESAURUS: clean spotlessroom | kitchen | house | clothes | blouse | uniform | apron completely clean, especially because someone takes great care: Her kitchen is always spotless. | They keep their house spotless. | She was wearing a spotless white blouse.Spotless means the same as spotlessly clean. immaculatecondition | clothes | suit | uniform | hair | teeth | room | house completely clean, especially because someone takes great care: The car was in immaculate condition and had obviously been well looked after. | The man wore an immaculate dark grey suit. | The soldiers’ uniforms have to be immaculate. | Her black hair was immaculate. | Rachel keeps the house immaculate.Immaculate means the same as spotless. It is most commonly used in the phrase in immaculate condition. spick and span clean and tidy, especially after having just been cleaned. Spick and span sounds rather informal: By the end of the day, the whole place was spick and span. pureair | water pure air and water does not contain any harmful substances at all: I breathed in the pure mountain air. | The water in the stream is pure and safe to drink. pristinecondition | beaches | lakes | forest | desert | wilderness | countryside | beauty | house | shirt if something is pristine, it is so clean it looks like new. Pristine is also used about natural places that have no litter or other damage caused by humans: The painting was in pristine condition. | People come to the island for its pristine beaches and beautiful clear water. | Yellowstone National Park is a pristine wilderness. | Hawaii is known for its fresh ocean air and pristine beauty. | She found that having a permanently pristine house did not bring joy. | He wore a pristine white shirt. sterileneedle | bandage | dressing | conditions completely clean, with no bacteria, and therefore safe for medical or scientific use: The needles are heated to make them sterile. | Place a sterile bandage on the wound. | Always use a sterile dressing on the wound. | The samples must be kept in sterile conditions. hygienicconditions | way clean and not likely to cause the spread of disease: The food is kept in hygienic conditions. | The most hygienic way to dispose of diapers is to burn them. | It’s not hygienic to eat things that everyone has touched.ANTONYMS dirty2. not causing harm to the environmentTHESAURUS: clean environmentally friendly
adjective | verb
clean2 /kliːn/ verb to remove dirt from something by rubbing or washingnounsclean a house/room/floor My mother used to spend hours cleaning the house.clean a window/wall The windows had not been cleaned in years.clean your teeth/hands I always clean my teeth after meals.clean your shoes/clothes/glasses Your shoes need cleaning.clean a wound The nurse cleaned the wound and put a bandage on it.prepositions/adverbsclean out the cupboard/refrigerator It took me all morning to clean out the kitchen cupboards.clean off the dirt/mud/blood etc (=remove it) You can use a damp cloth to clean off the dirt.clean up the mess Who is going to clean up all this mess?clean sth thoroughly It is important to clean the brushes thoroughly after you use them.phrasesclean sth from top to bottom (=clean all of a place very thoroughly) They cleaned the house from top to bottom.have sth cleaned professionally (=by someone whose job is to clean things) It is better to have the carpets cleaned professionally.THESAURUS: clean wipetable | hands | face | nose to remove dirt or liquid from something using a damp cloth, or your fingers: The waiter wiped the table and brought the menu. | She wiped her hands on her apron. | He wiped his face with his napkin. | The head teacher wiped her nose on a handkerchief. | Lucy wiped the tears from her eyes. | The man wiped the paint off his hands. brushhair | teeth | shoes | clothes to clean something using a brush: She was brushing her hair in front of the bedroom mirror. | He went to the bathroom to brush his teeth. | Paul brushed the mud off his coat. scrubfloor | pan | hands | (finger)nails to clean something by rubbing it hard with a brush and some water: She was on her knees, scrubbing the floor. | I worked in the kitchen scrubbing the pans. | I scrubbed the dirt off my hands. polishshoes | glasses | car | table | furniture | floor | silver to rub something in order to make it shine, usually with a cloth: His shoes were always well polished. | She polished the glasses until they sparkled. | Moran washed and polished the car. | They sanded and polished the floor. | The butler polished the silver (=the silver spoons, bowls etc). dustfurniture | chair | shelves to remove dust from somewhere using a cloth: They dusted and polished the furniture. | She found the letter when she was dusting some shelves in his study. | Don’t forget to dust on top of the cupboards. vacuumcarpet | rug | floor | house | room | car to clean something using a special machine that sucks dirt off the floor: It took me nearly an hour to vacuum the carpets. | Have you vacuumed the floor in the kitchen? | She had vacuumed the whole house before her mother arrived. | Our car needs vacuuming – it’s really dirty. rinsehair | hands | mouth | clothes | cloth | plate | dish | glass | cup | vegetables | lettuce to wash something quickly by pouring water on it, in order to remove soap, shampoo, dirt etc: Rinse your hair thoroughly to get rid of the shampoo. | She rinsed her hands under the hot tap. | She rinsed out her dirty clothes. | Polly went into her little kitchen and rinsed out two glasses. | I rinsed off the soap.You use rinse out about using water to clean the inside of a cup, pan etc, or to clean a cloth, some clothes etc. You also rinse out your mouth with a liquid to make it clean. cleanse formalskin | wound to clean your skin or a wound thoroughly: The cream is good for cleansing the skin. | Use salt water to cleanse the wound. disinfectsurface | wound | equipment | shoes | clothing | hands | house | room to use chemicals to clean something, in order to prevent the spread of disease: Keep kitchen countertops and other surfaces disinfected. | It is important to disinfect the wound. | Walkers were required to disinfect their shoes before entering the farm. | Staff must disinfect their hands before they go into the operating theatre. | I had to disinfect the room with bleach. sterilize also sterilise BrEneedle | instrument | equipment | milk | water to make something safe to use by heating it or using chemicals, by killing all the bacteria: Always use sterilized needles, and only use them once. | He worked at the hospital, sterilizing surgical instruments. | Make sure that you sterilize the water before you drink it.
随便看

英语词组固定搭配大全包含4241条英汉双解词组,基本涵盖了全部常用英文词组、短语的翻译及用法,是英语学习的有利工具。

Copyright © 2004-2022 Newdu.com All Rights Reserved
更新时间:2024/9/21 12:21:30