请输入您要查询的英文词组:

词组 check
释义
verb | noun
check1 /tʃek/ verb to do something in order to find out whether something really is correct, true, or in good conditionadverbscheck sth carefully/thoroughly Carefully check your work before you hand it in.check first/beforehand He put the money in his pocket, checking it first to make sure it was all there.be checked regularly/daily/every week etc The water quality in the pool is checked regularly.always check We always check that all the children are on the bus before driving off.prepositionscheck (sth) for mistakes/errors/damage She re-read the letter, checking for mistakes.check sth against sth (=compare two things to check they are the same) The company’s figures are checked against the official data.THESAURUS: check examine to look at something carefully and thoroughly because you want to find out something about it: Experts who examined the painting believe it is genuine. | The police will examine the weapon for fingerprints. inspect to look at something carefully and thoroughly in order to make sure that it is correct, safe, or working properly, especially when it is your job to do this: The building is regularly inspected by a fire-safety officer. | Some insurance people have already been here to inspect the damage caused by the storm. go through sth to examine something such as a document or plan from beginning to end, especially in order to check that it is correct: You should go through the contract before you sign. | I’ve finished my essay, but I just need to go through it to check for spelling mistakes. double-check to check something again so that you are completely sure it is correct, safe, or working properly: I double-checked all my calculations and they seemed fine. | Travellers should double-check flight information before setting off today. test to examine or use something in order to find out whether it works or what its qualities are, or in order to check that it is satisfactory: Test your brakes to check they are working correctly. | These products have not been tested on animals. monitorprogress | performance | situation | quality to carefully watch or keep checking someone or something in order to see what happens over a period of time: Doctors monitored her progress during the night. | Observers have been monitoring the situation in Burma closely. | Their job is to monitor the quality of water that we drink.
verb | noun
check2 /tʃek/ noun the process of finding out if something is safe, correct, true, or in the condition it should beadjectivesa quick check A quick check showed that the car had been stolen.a thorough/careful check An engineer gave the computer a thorough check.a regular check Despite regular checks, the drains had become blocked.a routine check (=happening as a normal part of a process) I went to the doctor for a routine health check.a random check (=done without any definite pattern) Customs officials were carrying out random checks on cars.a spot check (=a quick check of one thing in a group, done to obtain information) They do spot checks to make sure that all the products leave the factory in good condition.a visual check (=one done by looking at something) We normally make a visual check of the general condition of the water.a medical check People over 60 should have regular medical checks.nouns + checka safety/security check Airport security checks can take a long time.a health check The dog was given a thorough health check.a background check (=done to get information about someone’s previous work, education, family etc) The company conducts background checks on its employees.a credit check (=done to get information about someone’s financial history) Banks usually do a credit check before they give you a loan.a virus check (=for computer viruses) The computer is running a virus check. a spell check (=a process in which a computer program tells you if you have spelt words wrong) Have you done a spell check on your essay?Check or checkup?When talking about a medical examination to find out if you are healthy, you often say checkup: When was your last dental checkup?verbsdo/make a check I did a quick check to make sure all the lights had been switched off. | One of the nurses makes regular checks during the night.carry out/run a check also conduct a check formal (=do a check, especially one that you often do) The police carried out a check on the car’s registration number. | You should run a virus check before downloading the file from the internet.have a check BrE Always have a final check to make sure you’ve got your ticket and passport.give sth a check I’d like you to give the car a careful check.a check reveals/shows sth A check of military records revealed that the man had left the army ten years ago.prepositionsa check on sb/sth There should be more checks on the performance of doctors.phraseskeep a (close) check on sb/sth (=check someone or something regularly) Keep a check on your baby’s temperature. | His teacher was keeping a close check on his progress.go for a medical/health check She advised me to go for a medical check.
随便看

英语词组固定搭配大全包含4241条英汉双解词组,基本涵盖了全部常用英文词组、短语的翻译及用法,是英语学习的有利工具。

Copyright © 2004-2022 Newdu.com All Rights Reserved
更新时间:2024/9/21 8:45:13