请输入您要查询的英文词组:

词组 burden
释义
burden /ˈbɜːdn $ ˈbɜːrdn/ noun something difficult or worrying that you have to deal withadjectivesa heavy/great/huge/terrible burden Caring for elderly relatives can be a heavy burden.an intolerable burden (=one that is too hard for someone to deal with) Too many exams can place an intolerable burden on young people.an unfair/undue burden The new legislation put an unfair burden on employers.a financial burden Paying for extra staff would impose too great a financial burden on schools.nouns + burdenthe tax burden These changes will ease the tax burden for small businesses.the debt burden He made a serious attempt to ease the country’s debt burden.verbsbe/become a burden The huge costs are a burden on the taxpayer. | I don’t want to be a burden to my children when I’m old.bear/carry a burden (=have something difficult or worrying to deal with) At the age of 16, Suzy bore the burden of providing for her family.shoulder/take a burden (=accept responsibility for something) Why should taxpayers shoulder this burden?place/put a burden on sb also impose a burden on sb formal This situation places the main burden of family care on women.share the burden I was glad my brother was there to share the burden.shift the burden onto sb (=put it onto someone else) These changes are intended to shift the burden of paying for pollution from the taxpayer to the polluter.ease/reduce/lighten the burden Smaller classes would ease the burden for teachers.rid yourself of/shed a burden I was determined to rid myself of the burden of this secret.a burden falls on/upon sb The tax burden falls most heavily upon the poorest people.prepositionsthe burden on sb This would reduce the burden on those least able to pay.be a burden to sb The house is a burden to us and I don’t think we can keep paying for it.phrasesthe burden of responsibility He felt unable to cope with the burden of responsibility.a burden of guilt She carried a heavy burden of guilt for not having been able to protect her child.the burden of taxation The burden of taxation falls more heavily on the poor.lift the burden from sb’s shoulders (=take it away or make it less severe) I feel as if a great burden has been lifted from my shoulders.a burden weighs heavily on sb (=they find it difficult to deal with) I admit that the burden of caring for her weighs heavily on me.
随便看

英语词组固定搭配大全包含4241条英汉双解词组,基本涵盖了全部常用英文词组、短语的翻译及用法,是英语学习的有利工具。

Copyright © 2004-2022 Newdu.com All Rights Reserved
更新时间:2024/9/21 13:34:08