请输入您要查询的英文词组:

词组 traffic
释义
traffic /ˈtræfɪk/ noun the vehicles moving along a road or streetadjectives/nouns + trafficheavy traffic (=a lot of cars on the road) We got stuck in heavy traffic near the airport.light traffic (=not many cars on the road) The traffic is fairly light at this time of day.bad/terrible traffic The traffic was terrible this morning.slow/slow-moving traffic Traffic’s very slow going out of New York.stationary traffic (=traffic that is not moving) The truck ploughed into a line of stationary traffic on the motorway.rush-hour traffic I left early to try to miss the rush-hour traffic.local traffic There is quite a lot of local traffic.motorway traffic BrE freeway traffic AmE As motorway traffic worsens, commuters may have to find other ways of getting to and from work.oncoming traffic (=traffic coming towards you) The driver, too busy watching oncoming traffic, doesn’t notice the pedestrian ahead.verbsbe stuck/caught/held up in traffic Sorry I’m late – I was stuck in traffic.avoid/miss the traffic (=avoid driving when there are a lot of vehicles) I left early, hoping to miss the traffic.cut/reduce traffic The congestion charge did cut traffic in central London.increase traffic New housing will increase traffic in the area.traffic moves/flows At last the traffic was moving again.traffic is diverted (=made to go in another direction) Traffic was diverted onto the A166 as emergency services cleared the wreckage.direct traffic (=show vehicles where to go) Police were on duty directing traffic.disrupt traffic (=stop it from moving freely) The roadworks are likely to disrupt traffic.traffic + nounsa traffic jam (=a line of cars that have stopped, or are moving very slowly) She spent two hours sitting in a traffic jam.traffic congestion (=when the roads are full of traffic) There have been efforts to cut traffic congestion in Britain’s cities.traffic problems A new road won’t solve the city’s traffic problems.traffic delays/disruption The accident caused serious traffic delays.traffic flow (=the steady movement of traffic) The road widening should help to improve traffic flow.a traffic accident formal He’s been involved in a traffic accident.the traffic police (=police dealing with traffic problems and illegal driving) The teenagers got stopped by the local traffic police.traffic noise You get a lot of traffic noise living here.traffic fumes Traffic fumes are the biggest cause of air pollution in most cities.traffic calming (=things that are done to make people drive more slowly) We plan to extend traffic calming measures in residential streets.phrasesthe volume of traffic The new ring road will reduce the volume of traffic through the village.a stream of traffic (=a long continuous series of cars, trucks etc) There was a constant stream of traffic.the roar/rumble/hum of traffic The only noise was the distant rumble of traffic.
随便看

英语词组固定搭配大全包含4241条英汉双解词组,基本涵盖了全部常用英文词组、短语的翻译及用法,是英语学习的有利工具。

Copyright © 2004-2022 Newdu.com All Rights Reserved
更新时间:2024/9/21 12:47:40