请输入您要查询的英文词组:

词组 sympathy
释义
sympathy /ˈsɪmpəθi/ noun 1. the feeling of being sorry for someone who is in a bad situationadjectivesgreat sympathy I have great sympathy for the people affected by the earthquake.deep/deepest sympathy We’d like to offer our deepest sympathy to Hilda and her family.heartfelt sympathy (=deep and sincere) Heartfelt sympathy to our dear friend Sadie on the death of her mother.some/little/no sympathy I don’t like him much but I do have some sympathy for him.public sympathy There was much public sympathy for the refugees.Deep sympathy and deepest sympathy are often used when someone has died.verbshave/feel sympathy for sb It’s hard not to feel sympathy for the losing team.express/offer (your) sympathy Everyone there expressed their sympathy.show (sb) sympathy Critics showed little sympathy for him.get sympathy from sb She didn’t get much sympathy from her parents.win sympathy (=get it) The woman claimed that she was seriously ill in an attempt to win sympathy.deserve sympathy He doesn’t deserve any sympathy – it’s his own fault.play on sb’s sympathy (=make someone feel sorry for you in order to get an advantage for yourself) If that doesn’t work, she knows how to play on his sympathy.expect sympathy I know I can’t expect any sympathy from her!attract sympathy Rich people don’t attract much public sympathy when things go wrong.lose sb’s sympathy He lost the sympathy of colleagues with his constant complaints.prepositionssympathy for sb The attacker didn’t show the slightest sympathy for his victims.sympathy from sb She has attracted a lot of sympathy from many people.phrasesa message/letter of sympathy We are grateful for all the messages of sympathy we have received.an expression of sympathy I murmured an expression of sympathy.an outpouring of sympathy (=when a lot of people express sympathy) The princess’s death led to an outpouring of sympathy.have every sympathy for sb (=feel very sorry for someone – often used when you have had a similar experience yourself) I have every sympathy for people who find it hard to give up smoking.you have my sympathy (=used when saying that you feel sorry for someone) It must be difficult – you have my sympathy.extend your sympathy to sb formal (=express sympathy) I’d like to extend my deepest sympathy to the victim’s family.my/our sympathy goes out to sb formal (=used to formally express sympathy) Our sympathy goes out to Peggy in her great loss.my/our sympathies are with sb Our sympathies are with the families of the victims.2. belief in or support for something, especially in politicsadjectivespolitical sympathies Officers should not be appointed on the basis of their political sympathies.liberal/left-wing/communist etc sympathies It is a group with left-wing sympathies.verbssb’s sympathies lie with sb/sth Anne’s sympathies lay strongly with the Conservative Party.prepositionssympathy with sb/sth I have some sympathy with the organization’s aims.in sympathy with sth The only person not in sympathy with this plan was my father.
随便看

英语词组固定搭配大全包含4241条英汉双解词组,基本涵盖了全部常用英文词组、短语的翻译及用法,是英语学习的有利工具。

Copyright © 2004-2022 Newdu.com All Rights Reserved
更新时间:2024/9/21 10:30:19