请输入您要查询的英文词组:

词组 prolong
释义
prolong /prəˈlɒŋ $ -ˈlɒːŋ/ verb [T] to make something last longerprolong sb's life Successful treatment is prolonging people’s lives.prolong the war/conflict/ fighting The issue divided the country and prolonged the civil war.prolong the crisis/the recession Tax increases will only help to prolong the recession.prolong the conversation/discussion/argument I was trying to think of some way to prolong the conversation.prolong your stay/visit She decided to prolong her stay so that she could do some more sightseeing. a prolonged drought (=one that is unusually long) The country is suffering from a prolonged drought.prolong the agony (=make someone suffer for an even longer time) The last thing she wanted was to prolong the agony and she decided to tell him the news immediately.THESAURUS: prolong lengthenperiod | time | season | life to make something last longer than the usual time: They suggested lengthening the training period for new teachers. | New security measures have lengthened the time passengers spend waiting at airports. | Greenhouses are used to lengthen the growing season for many crops. | Drug therapy has lengthened life significantly. extenddeadline | time | period | visa | contract | agreement | offer | lease | life to make something continue for a longer period of time – used especially about official arrangements: The publishers agreed to extend the deadline for the book until the end of the following month. | Lenders can extend the time for repayment of the loan. | I applied to extend my visa. | The company agreed to extend his contract by another year. | The offer has been extended for a further fourteen days. | Regular feeding will often extend the life of plants by many weeks. drag sth out to make a situation or event last longer than necessary: I wish they’d make a decision and not keep dragging it out. | Each side accused the other of dragging out the negotiations.
随便看

英语词组固定搭配大全包含4241条英汉双解词组,基本涵盖了全部常用英文词组、短语的翻译及用法,是英语学习的有利工具。

Copyright © 2004-2022 Newdu.com All Rights Reserved
更新时间:2024/9/21 13:49:10