请输入您要查询的英文词组:

词组 ignore
释义
ignore AC /ɪɡˈnɔː $ -ˈnɔːr/ verb [T] 1. to not consider or obey something because you do not think it is importantadverbscompletely/totally ignore sth Their evidence was completely ignored at the trial.largely ignore sth (=mostly ignore) This complex issue has been largely ignored.deliberately/wilfully ignore sth The company deliberately ignored the laws about dumping waste.blatantly ignore sth (=deliberately ignore something in a shocking way that shows you do not care) Some motorists blatantly ignore the speed limits.blithely ignore sth (=not take any notice of something in a way that seems rather careless) The government blithely ignored the facts about global warming.routinely/systematically/consistently ignore sth (=often ignore something– used when you disapprove of this) Regulations about food safety are routinely ignored in some restaurants.conveniently ignore (=ignore something because it is helpful for you) The author conveniently ignores all the evidence against his arguments.nounsignore sb’s advice He ignored his doctor’s advice and continued working.ignore a warning Many people ignore warnings about the dangers of sunbathing.ignore the evidence We cannot ignore the evidence about climate change.ignore the problem/issue We cannot ignore the problem of homelessness.ignore the fact that... It is impossible to ignore the fact that traffic congestion is getting worse.ignore a law/rule Many employers are choosing to ignore the laws about maximum working hours.ignore a sign Cyclists often just ignore road signs and go down streets the wrong way.ignore sb’s wishes The council has completely ignored the wishes of local residents.ignore calls/demands for sth The government had ignored calls for greater security.ignore sb’s needs Children’s needs are often ignored.ignore the possibility It would be dangerous to ignore the possibility of war.ignore sb’s rights The company was criticized for ignoring workers’ rights.ignore sb’s plight (=ignore the fact that someone is in a very bad situation and needs help) He accused the West of ignoring the plight of refugees.verbschoose to/decide to ignore sth Some people have chosen to ignore their doctor’s advice.tend to ignore sth Such advice tends to be ignored.continue to ignore sth The country continues to ignore international laws on human rights.sb can (safely) ignore sth (=you can ignore it without anything bad happening) It’s a warning that you can safely ignore.phrasessth is impossible to ignore The problem is now so serious that it is impossible to ignore.sb cannot afford to ignore sth (=you must not ignore it, because there will be very serious problems) The government cannot afford to ignore the increase in unemployment.THESAURUS: ignore disregardlaw | rule | fact | evidence | advice | warning | view to ignore something. Disregard sounds more deliberate and more serious than ignore. You use it when you disapprove of what someone is doing: Some people are still choosing to disregard the law about drinking and driving. | Those who disregard the rules will be punished. | The article disregards some important historical facts. | It would be foolish to disregard the evidence. | The government entirely disregarded the committee’s advice. | Those who were injured had disregarded warnings. | The department has completely disregarded the views of local residents. overlookfact | faults | problem | detail to notice that something is bad or wrong but decide to ignore it: His new employer was willing to overlook the fact that he had a criminal conviction. | She loved him so much that she was ready to overlook all his faults. | This is a problem that cannot be overlooked. | If we overlook this unfortunate detail, the rest is perfect. neglectyour duties | your studies | your health | area | issue | aspect to not pay enough attention to something: The security guard was accused of neglecting his duties. | Her son began drinking and neglecting his studies at university. | When you are working hard, it is important not to neglect your health. | This area of research is frequently neglected by scientists. | Animal welfare is a neglected issue and we need to pay more attention to the needs of animals. | Mental health is one of the more neglected aspects of the healthcare system. pay no attention to ignore something, especially by not listening or watching: The boy paid no attention to what I was saying, and continued playing his computer game. | The men paid no attention to our warnings. turn a blind eye informal to pretend not to notice something bad, so that you do not have to do anything about it: The guards turned a blind eye when the prisoners stole food from the kitchen. | The authorities have turned a blind eye to human rights abuse. not to listen to sb to ignore what someone says: My son never listens to me and he always does what he wants. | She won’t listen to what I say – can you have a word with her?2. to pretend not to notice or hear someone or somethingadverbscompletely/totally ignore I said hello but he completely ignored me.virtually ignore She virtually ignored me.simply ignore The troops either didn’t hear, or simply ignored, the call.deliberately ignore The children were deliberately ignoring me.studiously/pointedly ignore (=very deliberately) He studiously ignored her question.politely ignore Unpleasant questions are politely ignored.nounsignore a question/request “Where do you live?” Dean ignored the question.ignore a remark/comment Try to ignore unpleasant remarks.verbschoose/decide to ignore sth Barker chose to ignore her comments.try to ignore sth She tried to ignore the sound of his crying.THESAURUS: ignore take no notice to ignore someone or something and not let them affect how you feel or what you do: I told him to be quiet, but he took no notice and carried on talking. | Take no notice of her – she doesn’t know what she’s talking about. snub to deliberately ignore someone or something, to show that you do not like them – used especially when someone is offended because of this: She felt she had been snubbed by her friends when she wasn’t invited to the party. blank informal to ignore someone by pretending that you have not seen them even though they are looking at you: I walked right in front of her, but she just blanked me.
随便看

英语词组固定搭配大全包含4241条英汉双解词组,基本涵盖了全部常用英文词组、短语的翻译及用法,是英语学习的有利工具。

Copyright © 2004-2022 Newdu.com All Rights Reserved
更新时间:2024/9/21 12:45:34