请输入您要查询的英文词组:

词组 effort
释义
effort /ˈefət $ ˈefərt/ noun 1. an attempt to do somethingGrammarAlways countable in this meaning.adjectives/nouns + efforta big/great effort to do sth The government has made a big effort to tackle the problem of poverty.a supreme/tremendous effort (=a very big effort) It was only with a supreme effort that Roger controlled his temper.a successful/unsuccessful effort Their efforts were successful, and they won the contract. | Efforts to save the hospital from closure have been unsuccessful.a futile effort (=with no chance of success) Doctors knew that any effort to save his life would be futile.a special effort (=one that you do not normally make) I made a special effort to be nice to the children.a determined effort (=showing a lot of determination) She had made a determined effort to lose weight.a deliberate/conscious effort He made a conscious effort to become a better person.a desperate effort The prisoners made a desperate effort to escape.a heroic effort (=used when you admire someone for their great efforts) Thanks to the heroic efforts of the firefighters, the building was saved.a superhuman effort (=using all your strength and power) It took a superhuman effort to get the car back on the road.a joint/collaborative effort (=with different people or groups working together) This was a collaborative effort involving the three largest energy companies.a team effort (=in which people work together as a team) We had many fine individual performances, but the win was a real team effort.a concerted effort (=determined and well-organized) It will take a concerted effort to get rid of this problem.a sustained effort (=one that you continue making for a long time) It will take a sustained effort over the next five years to achieve our objectives.a final effort I made one final effort to open the door.a last-ditch effort (=a last desperate effort, even though you think you probably will not succeed) The team made a last-ditch effort to score a goal.verbsmake an effort (=try to do something) I made an effort to be polite.abandon your efforts Bad weather forced them to abandon their efforts to sail across the Atlantic.continue your efforts We will continue our efforts towards peace.prepositionseffort at sth They all laughed at her efforts at skiing.through sb’s efforts (=because of someone’s efforts) Through scientists’ efforts, we have learnt a lot about disease.despite sb’s efforts Despite all our efforts, we lost the game 1–0.in an effort to do sth (=in order to try to do something) He bought an expensive car in an effort to impress her.phrasesmake the effort (=try especially hard to do something that you do not usually do) She always makes the effort to talk to the children.make every effort to do sth (=try very hard) I made every effort to see their point of view.make no effort to do sth (=not try at all) They make no effort to learn the local language.2. the physical or mental energy needed to do somethingGrammarAlways uncountable in this meaning.adjectivesgreat/considerable/huge effort The police put considerable effort into finding his car.physical/mental effort Digging requires a lot of physical effort.hard/strenuous effort After a lot of hard effort, we got the sofa up the stairs. | Ernest would not let his wife do any work that might involve strenuous effort.a constant effort (=you have to keep using a lot of effort) Walking was a constant effort.the extra effort It’s a long way to the top of the hill, but it is worth the extra effort.verbssth takes effort also it takes effort to do sth (=you have to try hard) It takes so much effort to interest audiences in new shows.sth requires/involves effort formal (=it takes effort) Trying to get my mother to change her mind requires considerable effort.take the effort out of sth (=make it easy) An automatic car takes the effort out of driving.put effort into (doing) sth (=try hard to do something) Frank put a lot of effort into the party. | Let’s try again, only put more effort into it this time.use effort You need to use your time and effort efficiently.focus your efforts on sth (=give special attention to something) The company is focussing its efforts on Asia.effort goes into sth A lot of effort goes into organising a football team.prepositionswith effort With great effort, he managed to keep quiet.without effort Her horse jumped the fence without any effort.phrasesa great deal/a lot of effort I eventually found the house, but it took a great deal of effort.be (well) worth the effort (=be worth doing even though it is hard) It’s a difficult place to get to, but it’s well worth the effort.be a waste of effort I could have told him it was a waste of effort.time and effort You can save time and effort by booking your holiday online.an effort of will (=a big effort not to do something you feel like doing) It took a huge effort of will not to cry.a duplication of effort (=doing the same thing twice, and therefore wasting effort) Good planning will avoid unnecessary duplication of effort.3. work that people do to achieve somethingnouns + efforta relief effort (=work to provide food, medicine etc to people who have none) The UN is organizing the relief effort to the region affected by the earthquake.a fund-raising effort The party is planning a huge fund-raising effort later this year.the war effort Everyone did what they could to support the war effort.
随便看

英语词组固定搭配大全包含4241条英汉双解词组,基本涵盖了全部常用英文词组、短语的翻译及用法,是英语学习的有利工具。

Copyright © 2004-2022 Newdu.com All Rights Reserved
更新时间:2024/9/21 14:26:04